Just got a used Okla Joe Highland

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaminator

Original poster
Jul 5, 2016
Paid 100 bucks for this.  I know its not pretty but i dont care about that.  Someone told me to paint it but I was afraid it would burn off.   anything you  guys can think i should do to "tune up" this thing?

Also, is there normally a grate in the firebox?  just trying to understand the best way to get air under

the wood when starting.

Also the temp gauge is fogged.  would you recommend stock replacement or something different?

thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw
Yes, you should have a good heavy grate in the FB and maybe a charcoal basket. I would replace the therm with a River Country. Maybe even two, so you will have one on each end. And, yes, I would spray on two good coats of Rustoleum 1200* paint.

Good luck with it and good smokin', Joe

Hey as far as paint goes rustoleum has high temp paint I would use. Two coats sounds like a great idea to ensure a even covering

thanks for the advice.  I cleaned it up and painted it and posted the pic in the original post.

I used 80 grit on a mouse sander to remove all rust and then three cans of flat rust oleum. If you look close at this pic you will see some smoke this morning. BTW whoever recommended the Maverick 732 was right on point. I actually got the 733 but what a great gadget. Worth the money. Totally takes the guesswork out. Now just have to keep myself from peeking at the brisket.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodyussluce
Hey guys brisket turned out great. I also cooked a rack of ribs and noticed the one end gets crispier. Someone said this may not be a highland. How can I tell because I definitely see the benfit of the baffle. Which baffle you guys recommend?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky