Jimmy Dean

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dacdots

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 3, 2005
Ripley WV
Here is a copycat recipe for Jimmy Dean sausage I found and am gonna try a little to see how it turns out.Everyone here at the micro ranch seems to like J D sausage so Ill try to make them happy.If anyone trys this recipe let me know what you think about it.Thanks,David
http://www.vernalisa.addr.com/fjimmy.html

Thanks for posting that site, Dave! I ran into it some time ago and tried the sausage recipes. They are close and not too many people could tell the difference. The recipes also expand well to heavier loads of meat.
The REAL BIGGIE is that you do not have all those ingredients that you cannot even pronounce! :D
Monty

Thanks for the recipe link. I have been looking for that copy of Jimmy Dean sausage for about 3 years. My question is when taking this to a larger batch, say 25 lbs., do you 25 times everything or will that end up being too much of some spices?

goat

That's a good question, Goat. First of all I would not take a recipe so heavily dependant on herbs and spices and immediately attempt to go twenty five times over. A better figure is five times over and reduce the seasonings by ten to tweny per cent. (You can always add more!)
Make up a batch and let it rest in the fridge for about four hours and then fry up a pattie. You can adjust seasonings from there. Another factor is that over a bit of storage time some spices and herbs actually increase their influence over the total recipe. In short, they become stronger.
Once you have comfortably established a five fold increase in weight you can then go five times again and bring a one pound recipe to twenty five pounds. Bear in mind that if you take a recipe that works with one set of ingredients you cannot always expect to achieve the same result by simply multiplying all the ingredients by the same factor. This is where the fun of experimenting with cooking comes into play! Ya just gotta keep doin' it till it is right!
Also, another little tip. Fresh herbs are anywhere from two to four times as potent as the dried ground type and tend to have a greater ability to increase their influence in the recipe during storage. I like to snip my own for dishes that I will serve immediately and fresh and depend on my usual brands of dried for my sausage and jerky. Keeps it predictable. (Somewhat)
Hope this helps you out a bit!
Monty

I don't know why I even ask for advice. I usually do not follow it. I extended this recipe out to 25 lbs without changing anything or testing smaller batches. I used 25% venison and 75% 80/20 pork trimmings. Not bad for a first run. I will slack off the corriander and add a little more salt to the next batch.

I made the HOT version.

goat

What the heck, Goat! When in doubt dive in head first. It only hurts for a minute or two! Glad to hear it all went well! We both learned a bit. I'm too cautious and you're.....welllll......adventurous! :D
Best 'O Luck!
Monty

Dave, thanks for posting the link. Sir Monty and Goat, you two crack me up. LOL Monty most of the goats that I've ever known have ALWAYS approched things head first. :D

I was born under the sign of Capricorn. So that makes me kinda goaty, too! :D
Monty

Maybe that explains the smell. . . nah never mind!!! :shock: :D

Ok, guys, I guess I deserved that one! Left myself wide open after asking for a beating!
Cheers!
Monty

BTW, Happy Birthday Monty.
wink.gif

Here ya go, smoked!

JIMMY DEAN SAUSAGE RECIPES
Sage
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

Hot
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

Maple
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)
1/4 teaspoon coriander

Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown and cooked through.
Makes 1 pound of sausage.

Cheers!

srmonty,

thanks a ton!!!!! we love using the sage for fatties but I want to make them much bigger then the standard purchased ones, plus everything is better homemade!!!!!!! :D

I don't have the original any longer, but here is mine.

Goats Breakfast Sausage

25 pounds pork
¾ cup salt
¼ cup cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons rubbed sage
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper, 3 T. for hot
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1½ teaspoons coriander
2 tablespoons MSG (Accent

Heya, Larry!

"Crushed Red Pepper" is a Cayenne which has been dehydrated to brittle and then minimally processed. it is larger than flakes. Most spice houses produce a crushed red pepper. Head on down to the grocery store get a peek at a bottle of this product and all will be understood!

Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky