Jerky, too long in cure?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ihocky2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I am using a Pit Boss jerky kit so I am not sure what cure they use. Slice the meat Saturday night and put in the seasoning and cure blend. Instructions say to leave for 24 hours, the plan was to dehydrate Sunday night. Got busy with things going on and it was too late every time I remembered to get it cooking. We are now pushing 72 hours curing in the fridge. Is there any reason for worry with this batch or should I still be good to go?

I'll just comment that when I do jerky I cure 3 days . Mix around in the bag everyday .
My personal feeling is that you're fine .

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Ive left my jerky in the fridge with cure for over a week its fine. As long as the temp is low enough why not. It no different than doing pork belly for bacon for 10 days in the fridge.

I am using a Pit Boss jerky kit so I am not sure what cure they use. Slice the meat Saturday night and put in the seasoning and cure blend. Instructions say to leave for 24 hours, the plan was to dehydrate Sunday night. Got busy with things going on and it was too late every time I remembered to get it cooking. We are now pushing 72 hours curing in the fridge. Is there any reason for worry with this batch or should I still be good to go?
The batch will be fine if you are concerned about spoilage. That is what the cure#1 is for. It would last a couple of weeks no issues for sure with proper amount of cure#1.

Now 1 thing to worry about is salt.
Sitting that long it may get too salty.

Wash off a piece and fry it in the skillet and taste to see if it is too salty.
If too salty you can soak in cool water for 2-3 hours and then repeat the fry test. If still too salty, replace water with fresh water and soak again.

Repeat until you say "could use a little more salt" and that is the point to stop. When it dehydrates the remaining salt will become much more prominent.

Let me know if this makes sense :)

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
As long as you used the correct amount of cure… your good to go… as tallbm tallbm stated… just to be sure it’s not too salty… do a test fry! Some manufacturers IMO add more salt than needed… I tried to look up what Pit Boss puts in their cure package and wasn’t able to find it! But safety wise your good to go! But I’d still do a test fry as stated above… nothing like trying to enjoy a fresh piece of jerky off the dehydrator or smoker and the salt taste overtakes the meat flavor! It should compliment the meat flavor… Just my 2 cents!

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky