Jerky Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

naterdump

Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Kansas
So I sliced and marinated up a couple partially frozen rump roasts for jerky last night in my shop. I set the zip lock bags on the counter, and forgot to put them in the fridge. They were on the counter from midnight to 7:00 am. The temp in the shop when I placed the partially frozen meat/marinade mix (in zip lock bag) on the counter was about 65 degrees F. At 7:00am when I realized I left it on the counter was 54 degrees F. Do I need to throw this out, or would it be okay to cook and eat? I planned to smoke one batch and dehydrate the other. both cooks will be at 165 degrees F. Several people have told me that with the salt content high in the marinade and the temp in my shop not being too hot that I would be good to cook it. Wondering what you all thought?? Thanks in advance!!

I would cook it but if you take the temperature of the meat I bet it’s below 40* did you use cure?

I would cook it but if you take the temperature of the meat I bet it’s below 40* did you use cure?
I didn't use cure for the dehydrator batch, but did for the smoker batch. I threw it in the fridge as soon as I realized it this morning. The marinade is Worcester, Soy Sauce, Teriyaki sauce, MSG, Season Salt, Garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke. With the temp in the shop not getting super warm I hope it'll be okay. I think I'll cook it after work and see how it goes. Thanks for the replies!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky