Jerky Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babysmokologist

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Olympic Peninsula, Washington
I bought the LEM BBQ Jerky mix and plan to try making smoked ground pork jerky w/ a LEM Jerky Cannon. Do I need a certain fat content for consistency or flavor? Any smoking recommendations regarding time/temp, etc?

Thanks,

Gary

Have to agree with Dave.  Personally, I would never use pork for jerky, due to the fat content.  I've used 90/10 ground beef in a jerky gun.  Don't dehydrate it over 165, as than you're cooking, not dehydrating.  Over 170, the fat will melt out of your product.  Keep it at 165 and you'll be fine.  Good luck.

You can totally use pork to make ground jerky.

First there are a few things. When using ground meats, it's always safer to use some nitrites or celery, ensuring that the finished product stays safe.

Next, using lean meat is ideal, but don't worry about that if you don't have it. All you have to do is adjust your temp according. This also depends on your smoker. If you have forced air over the jerky, then turn the heat up and you will cook off most of the undesirable fats. If not, you need to keep it got enough to take some of the fat off, over a longer period of time. Totally depends on the smoker.

Btw, I do a ground bison, with pork, and cranberries, and it's fatty. But so tasty!

Cheers!

David

Thanks guys! I'm slowly climbing the learning curve with various types of meat. I'm set up to go with sausage or jerky right now. I have about 200lbs of pork/deer to process this week.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky