• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Jerky question - MES40 or LEM Big bite dehydrator, or both?

lothar1974

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 22, 2014
I have several pounds of ground Turkey I plan on using with my LEM jerky cannon to make some flat jerky strips. I have read several things saying to smoke/cook the jerky to 160 then throw the jerky in the dehydrator. Also see allot just cook it on the smoker only, as well as some using the dehydrator only. Wondering what most of you do? Thanks for the help!

BigW.

Smoke Blower
Joined May 13, 2019
I'd put it on the smoker for at least a bit. Jerky needs some smoke IMO. Then off to the dehydrator to finish.

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
L1974, IMHO it is easier to get the right texture etc if you smoke for a few hours and finish in the dehydrator.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I use cut meat like eye of the round not ground, but I smoke it start to finish. I cut it 1/4" or so, smoke at 180 for a couple hours then up to 225 till the dryness feels right.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.