Jerky on pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

metsfan2152

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 24, 2017
Hey guys new to make jerky.
I am going to be trying beef jerky on my pellet smoker. I know there are a couple of threads on here about this but just want to get some more specifics.

What i am going to try to do since my smoker does not get down real low is smoke it on the lowest settings (High smoke settings) which is about 180 for an 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Then i am going to increase the heat up a bit so it does not get much smoke anymore.
From my understanding its not jerky at this point cause I am cooking it?

Would also like to give credit to sandyut for the recipe and method.

Anyone have any advise or suggestions?

can't you smoke it for a hour or so and finish in the oven at a lower temp, just my 2cents

I would just keep it on that 180 setting until the jerky is done to your liking.
The issue with that is with the pellet grills the lower the temp usually u have more smoke.
So if I kept at that temp I think it would be really bitter cause of too much smoke.

I've made several batches of jerky using my RecTec pellet smoker set at around 180 until they were done, and never had a bitter taste. You might want to try finishing some of your jerky in the smoker, some in the oven, and see which taste better to you. "Practice makes Perfect"!

Reactions: stayhot
So if I kept at that temp I think it would be really bitter cause of too much smoke.

It's REALLY hard to over smoke anything with a pellet grill. Just keep it running at the lowest setting. 180 is on the high side for jerky, so sometimes I transfer it to my dehydrator. But usually, I just let it ride at 180.

ok you should be good to go, like mentioned above finish 1/2 in the smoker 1/2 in the oven see what you like the best either way the two will be tasty
Thanks. I will try that. I am guess 4-5 hours maybe longer in the oven cause of the lower temp. I believe the lowest my oven goes is 170.

not sure how long it will take, you'll have to give it the bend test and dry until you get to your liking, good luck

Just an update it came out good. The oven one came out better but i believe i overcooked the smoker one. Seem to snap and a little to tough for me. So i need to just take it off earlier. The oven came out good. Thanks for the help.

Question I have had them on the cooling rack for 3-4 hours, Whats the best way to store them? I heard putting them in a brown paper bag?

Whats the like lifespan of how long it last if in the fridge?

Brown bag in the fridge works, but I never worry about lifespan. Any time I make jerky it's usually gone in a week.

I usually put it in Ziploc bad, but as grillzn said above it usually doesn't last to long, i've had it up to a month with no problems i'm sure it will last a lot longer, maybe someone will chime in who stores it longer, i'm guessing you could probably freeze it but don't hold me to that

Thanks guys. With the teriyaki recipe it seems like they are a little wet. If i put them in the paper bag should it absorb the moisture?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky