Jerky and cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
Got some jerky going in the dehydrator. Notice the tube of pellets going underneath.
20190120_135658.jpg
Got three small blocks of cheese with a pork roast and brisket flat cold smoking 30 deg today. Plan on 4 hours of smoke. The season the meat and vac seal for sous vide cook. Cheese vac seal and give it a try in 2 to 3 weeks.
20190120_135820.jpg 20190120_135738.jpg
4 hours long enough?

Got some jerky going in the dehydrator. Notice the tube of pellets going underneath.
View attachment 385997
Got three small blocks of cheese with a pork roast and brisket flat cold smoking 30 deg today. Plan on 4 hours of smoke. The season the meat and vac seal for sous vide cook. Cheese vac seal and give it a try in 2 to 3 weeks.
View attachment 385998 View attachment 385999
4 hours long enough?

More info please on the dehydrator and cold smoke. I didn't know this could be done at the same time.

I would think yes for the cheese's.
Not sure on the meats.
I cold smoke my bacon's for 6-9 hours and like that so far. Others like a lot longer, but I'm leaning toward milder now, and more of the family likes the results.
I'm using my AMNPS with dust made from pellets and dried.

I'm curious why you are smoking in your dehydrator though. Is the idea so the dehydrator circulates the smoke and it dehydrates? Or are you smoking then going to dehydrate.

My little trick and theory is I have my smoker heated/controlled to maintain ~ 70 degree temperature. So I can get that part consistent. Cold smoking is below 100 degrees. But from what I've read most commercial smoker operations control their batch temperatures for consistent results.

You'll find your Ideal. Just takes a bit of trying.

I would think yes for the cheese's.
Not sure on the meats.
I cold smoke my bacon's for 6-9 hours and like that so far. Others like a lot longer, but I'm leaning toward milder now, and more of the family likes the results.
I'm using my AMNPS with dust made from pellets and dried.

I'm curious why you are smoking in your dehydrator though. Is the idea so the dehydrator circulates the smoke and it dehydrates? Or are you smoking then going to dehydrate.

My little trick and theory is I have my smoker heated/controlled to maintain ~ 70 degree temperature. So I can get that part consistent. Cold smoking is below 100 degrees. But from what I've read most commercial smoker operations control their batch temperatures for consistent results.

You'll find your Ideal. Just takes a bit of trying.
Cold smoke in stick burner is using pellet dust. I may let the meat go longer.

As far as the jerky it's my way of getting smoke to the Jerky. My dehydrator pulls in fresh air so I just add smoke to the incoming air from the tube filled with pellets. I tried to make jerky in my smoker once and was a disaster. Couldn't keep temps low enough with out heavey grey smoke. Meat tasted like an ashtray from a dive bar.

Well here's my pig and cow seasoned and ready for the sous vide later this week
20190120_204105.jpg
And jerky finished up. About 5 pounds of top round into this minus the sampling of course. 20190120_204141.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky