Jerk Shrimp Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I ended up making some Jamaican jerk shrimp tacos for Memorial Day weekend. I’m just getting around to posting these now.

I used 1 pound of large shrimp, marinated with Wegmans brand Jerk marinade paste. After tasting it off the end of a spoon, I didn’t have high hopes for it. It reminded me of jarred pesto. But I was quite pleased at the end. The kick of the peppers shone through and the acidity of the hot sauce helped too.
DC18EDCE-6E90-44E8-8BAD-6802C930AF9D.jpeg

The shrimp were grilled and then served with homemade tortillas and homemade coleslaw.

The 3 step process. Corn tortillas, coleslaw, grilled jerk shrimp and then topped with shredded smoked Montery Jack cheese and Los Calientes Hot sauce
1FEF2F09-75E4-4C1B-8EFB-7D9DEF280D5B.jpeg

Finished and went outside to eat on the deck.
C5C6D2FA-5350-49FA-BF07-D8DAD89DED70.jpeg

3BFA17AB-6E55-4AE8-A0F9-B17E76DB0DB5.jpeg

Since I had to work on Memorial Day, I whipped up some Bloody Mary Salad and grilled two hotdogs to reheat and eat for lunch.
1F298AE4-D8A0-4719-A855-DAD9E507C6BF.jpeg

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Love jerk shrimp tacos. If you can find Graces jerk marinade, get that. Used to work in a grocery store that had a decent size Jamacian population and thats the one they all bought. Walker Woods is supposed to be good too.

Reactions: xray
Those look awesome Joe! I love jerk anything. For commercial stuff walkerswood is pretty good. Having had one of the wegmans marinades I will have to say it was pretty good too. Anyways those look outstanding man nice job! How was the 12 Horse Ale?

Love jerk shrimp tacos. If you can find Graces jerk marinade, get that. Used to work in a grocery store that had a decent size Jamacian population and thats the one they all bought. Walker Woods is supposed to be good too.

Thanks Kevin, I have a bottle of the scotch bonnet pepper sauce from Grace that I really enjoy. I picked it up at Walmart if I recall, I’ll have to look for the jerk one.

I have another jerk sauce my wife brought me back from Jamaica. It’s made by Island Spice...but it’s a pineapple jerk sauce...didnt want these tacos to be overly sweet.

Fine looking tacos Joe! I'll take a plate of those any day! Now I'm starving and its taco Tuesday!

Those look awesome Joe! I love jerk anything. For commercial stuff walkerswood is pretty good. Having had one of the wegmans marinades I will have to say it was pretty good too. Anyways those look outstanding man nice job! How was the 12 Horse Ale?

Thanks John. I’ll have to look for the walkerswood as well. The Wegmans one was okay, but it’s nothing like the Peruvian one. I actually can’t find that!!

The Genesee 12 horse ale was good, it’s an old beer or a classic remastered. It’s nothing fancy, tastes similar to Natty Ice. But at $13 for a case, it’s good to have around. I ended up picking it up because it caught my eye. I didn’t realize they made it again.

Looks good bud. Give this a try if you can find it. Its delicious. Got mine at publix View attachment 448005

That looks good Jake! I’ll have to order that. Sadly there’s no Publix close to me. I put it on the amazon wishlist, but if I go to Florida in October I’ll bring a few back with me, there’s one close to where we stay in the Keys.

Fine looking tacos Joe! I'll take a plate of those any day! Now I'm starving and its taco Tuesday!

Thanks Travis, they were pretty good. The smoked Montery Jack was an audible because I couldn’t find any Cotija. Also didn’t realize it was Tuesday today, my schedule is all messed up. I don’t think I could pull off tacos today...here’s your reminder lol.

Reactions: Sowsage
Got Darn that looks good xray! Love me some tacos, I could eat them every day of the week. And that salad....OMG!! We do a similar salad w/ tomatoes, onion and cukes with oil and vin....yours looks spectacular!!!

LIKE. LOOKS KILLER! Big jerk fan but have not run shrimp yet.

FWIW I've tried a few store bought and found WW to be the best but once I got a jerk cookbook and tried making it, I was much happier with the results. You can also buy the author's rubs etc on Amazon. I just got the dry rub and have jerk chicken on deck.

https://helensjerkseasoning.com/products-retail/

Got Darn that looks good xray! Love me some tacos, I could eat them every day of the week. And that salad....OMG!! We do a similar salad w/ tomatoes, onion and cukes with oil and vin....yours looks spectacular!!!

Thanks Saint, I eat a ton of cucumber tomato salad with salt, pepper and oil/vinegar. When fresh vegetables are in I eat it almost daily.

The bloody mary tomato salad uses that as a base but kicked up with Worcestershire, horseradish, tabasco and celery. Here’s the full recipe if interested.

Reactions: 73saint
Thanks Saint, I eat a ton of cucumber tomato salad with salt, pepper and oil/vinegar. When fresh vegetables are in I eat it almost daily.

The bloody mary tomato salad uses that as a base but kicked up with Worcestershire, horseradish, tabasco and celery. Here’s the full recipe if interested.

Thanks xray! I will absolutely be making this (tonight)....it's Creole season!!

Thanks xray! I will absolutely be making this (tonight)....it's Creole season!!

Let me know how you like it, I prefer it over my old standby as long as I have the other ingredients on hand. But it’s still simple enough to put together.

Let me know how you like it, I prefer it over my old standby as long as I have the other ingredients on hand. But it’s still simple enough to put together.
I will, I guarantee I will love it, I have all ingredients on hand and use them regularly. Thanks again...

That looks fantastic! Never tried jerk on shrimp, I'll have to give it a try. I'm convinced that I also need to get some of those taco trays...

They sure do look good Joe

Thank you Jim!

That looks fantastic! Never tried jerk on shrimp, I'll have to give it a try. I'm convinced that I also need to get some of those taco trays...
I'm with you there...I need some of those shell trays!

The stainless steel taco holders are awesome! Especially if you do a lot of soft shell, or even just tacos in general like I do.

Mine are pretty heavy guage and won’t warp in the dishwasher. I bought a 4 pack from amazon, they were less than $20.

Reactions: D.W. and 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky