JC in GB 250 Gallon Reverse flow offset smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking good. I'm not sure I would ever endeavor to attempt something like this, so I would never criticize anyone else's welding as I have never done it myself.

Curious where you got the propane tank, and how did you ensure it was completely empty before applying welds to it?

The tank had the fittings removed and was in the atmosphere for 2 years. There was no gas left n the cylinder. Even the mercaptan smell was gone.

I got the tank from a private seller.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Displaced Texan
JC, when welding two parts of differering thicknesses put moost of the heat on the thicker member. In the case of 1/8" wall tube to plate I'd likely have 3/4" of the heat on the plate and just be looking for the edge of the weld puddle to wash onto the tube.

As far as a guide for the corner welds pipe or bar clamps and make a handy rest for long welds, too. Being comfortable and taking a few dry run practice passes goes a long way to making better welds.

Best regards,

Lance

JC, when welding two parts of differering thicknesses put moost of the heat on the thicker member. In the case of 1/8" wall tube to plate I'd likely have 3/4" of the heat on the plate and just be looking for the edge of the weld puddle to wash onto the tube.

As far as a guide for the corner welds pipe or bar clamps and make a handy rest for long welds, too. Being comfortable and taking a few dry run practice passes goes a long way to making better welds.

Best regards,

Lance

Thanks for that advice. You are correct for sure. I figured that out when I burned through on that first tube weld. I watched plenty of youtube videos on how to weld properly, what to look, listen, etc for. The funny thing is when I started welding, I knew the view and sounds were not correct I just needed to get my brain to hand motions down. I think I was getting fairly consistent by the 6th weld. There is always room to learn more though.. I love learning new things.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: LanceR
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky