• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Japanese A5 Wagyu Ribeyes & Seared Scallops Over Coconut Rice with Mango Chutney & Pickled Cucumbers

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

civilsmoker

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined
Jan 27, 2015
Messages
8,030
Reaction score
11,816
Location
Idaho
The “thread title” was the menu choice for the son’s desired B-Day present….. so we made it happen! He wanted a repeat from when we did A5 previously!

Up first….imported Japanese A5 Wagyu!. They were thawed slowly in the fridge then brought out to come up to room temp…
IMG_4525.jpeg

Next up the scallops….
IMG_4526.jpeg

A5 is an amazing and unbelievable cut of beef….if you look close you can see the fat started to render at room temperature.
IMG_4527.jpeg

Mrs C mixed up a quick pickle with some mango white balsamic and rice whine vinegars with a bit of soy!
IMG_4528.jpeg

The A5 went into a screaming hot Hex pan for the sear!
IMG_4529.jpeg

Seared them a total of 6 min rotating side to side
IMG_4530.jpeg

The Boy was on Scallops in another Hex pan with beef tallow for the oil in the pan….
IMG_4531.jpeg

Bingo about a total of 3 mins total….he has these down!!!
IMG_4532.jpeg

And the birthday plate!
IMG_4534.jpeg

The scallops were put over a bed of coconut rice and mango chutney
IMG_4535.jpeg

The A5 was dressed with gray sea salt and some mango as well…..
IMG_4536.jpeg

This is the money shot! I was a loss for words the first time we did A5 and am still a loss of words…. Mrs C and the boy came up with this pairing and all I can say this is the best steak and seafood dish I have had in my life!!!
IMG_4537.jpeg

So I’m thinking the meal was done and as I was sitting on the couch with a smile in Lala land Mrs C was still at work in the kitchen…. She whipped up a mixed berry bread pudding…..
IMG_4540.jpeg

However, she had something even more special planned…… she whipped up a vanella bean Crème anglaise sauce vs having ice cream…. The bread pudding was served in a bowl with the sauce and topped with a split strawberry and mint leaf….
IMG_4541.jpeg

Mrs C took the home based desert to a new level with this one! I am again left with no words!
IMG_4542.jpeg
 
That plate looks absolutely amazing.
Then to top it off with Mrs. C's bread pudding... thats just perfect 👍
And Happy Birthday to your son.
 
That looks insanely good! That steak looks too good to cook... I'd probably just stand in the kitchen looking at it. I love coconut rice, but scallops are by far my favorite type of food from the sea.
 
Can you make this for my Birthday?


Wonderful as always
 
WOW that is premium!!! All looks great!
Much appreciated sandy!
Oh my Lord, that all looks fantastic!! Photography is magazine quality as well.
Many thanks is Colin! A painting of flavors for sure!
Damn dude!
😎 thanks norm!
That plate looks absolutely amazing.
Then to top it off with Mrs. C's bread pudding... thats just perfect 👍
And Happy Birthday to your son.
Thanks JL! I’ll pass along the wishes, yea the bread pudding was better than cake for sure!
 
AMAZING meal! That old saying about too many cooks spoiling the broth clearly doesn’t apply in your household.
Many thanks SC! Yea having 3 cooks all focused on their item makes for a stress free meal….and you don’t cross paths!
Ummm.... YUM! 😋
Thanks chiller!
That is an extraordinary meal! Someday I'll have to splurge on some A5
Thanks jcam! It’s certainly something you would do in a regular basis but for very a special meal it makes memories! But I have a weakness for beef!
That looks insanely good! That steak looks too good to cook... I'd probably just stand in the kitchen looking at it. I love coconut rice, but scallops are by far my favorite type of food from the sea.
Thanks mr_w! They are actually very fun to cook cause they just make magic! We like scallops at our house for sure! The pearl of the sea for sure!
 
Great birthday meal.

Lots of great colours on all the dishes.

But i will take two of the desert dishes , i,m drooling here.

David
Thanks David! The desert was a show stopper! My mind was blown! ….and that’s saying something, after the meal itself!
Just plain outstanding !! The pictures and plating are phenomenal !!!!
Much appreciated jaxg! All the colors were fun to organize for the pic, if I’m being honest!
Can you make this for my Birthday?


Wonderful as always
I can but your would have to spring for a plane ticket….lol. Many thanks bmudd!
Beautiful!!
Thanks CS!
 
Wow that looks awesome! Some beautiful plating. A local Wagyu rancher just opened up a Wagyu meat market. To $$ for me. He did give me a couple flanken ribs to try.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky