Jambalaya recipe.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
I told somebody a few months ago I would post this most excellent recipe. Took longer than I thought to get it here.

Enjoy!!

Craig

Here is the recipe that I have used for years and have won several dutch oven scout master cook offs with (at camp,no real big deal). If I can find alligator meat I will add a pound of and back the pork off some. Comes from the International Dutch Oven Society page. As many times as I have made this..there has never been leftovers..hahahaha. It is one of the reasons I started making my own sausage.

Dutch Oven Jambalaya

1/4 cup Crisco or bacon drippings

3 pounds cubed pork

2 pounds sliced Andouille

2 cups onions, chopped

2 cups celery, chopped

1 cup bell pepper, chopped

1/2 cup garlic, diced

8 cups beef or chicken stock

2 cups mushroom, sliced

1 cup green onion, sliced

1/2 cup parsley, chopped

4-5 cups long grain white rice, or use your favorite

Salt and pepper to taste

Louisiana gold hot sauce to taste (about 2 tsp)

In a 8-quart Dutch oven (12 inch deep), heat Crisco or bacon drippings over medium-high heat on cooker(12 charcoal briquettes on bottom only). Sauté cubed pork until dark brown on all sides and some pieces are sticking to the bottom of the pot, approximately 30 minutes. This is very important as the brown color of jambalaya is derived from the color of the meat. Add andouille and sauté an additional 10-15 minutes. Tilt the pot to one side and ladle out all oil, except for one large cooking spoon. Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Add vegetables and sauté until all vegetables are well caramelized. Be careful, as vegetables will tend to scorch since the pot is so hot. Add beef stock, bring to a rolling boil and reduce heat to simmer (6-8 briquettes on bottom). Cook 15 minutes for flavors to develop. Add mushrooms, green onions and parsley. Season to taste using salt, pepper and Louisiana Gold hot sauce.  I suggest that you slightly over-season since the rice tends to require a little extra seasoning. Add rice, cover and simmer (6-8 briquettes on bottom, 10-12 briquettes on top). Cook rice 30-45 minutes, stirring frequently.  Serve with French bread.  Serves 8-10

Submitted by:

John Gregory    

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Well your recipe looks pretty darn good.

Last edited:
I've always though of Jambalaya as a clean out your freezer dish.  When I get miscellaneous bits of any kind of meat in the freezer they all come out and go in the same pot.  I have friends that swear by jambalaya with peperoni.   Only rule seems to be not mixing seafood with meat and there again it's not necessarily a hard and fast rule.

Looks like a great recipe, you may want to try a small can or two of chopped tomatoes or (Rotels with the green chilies) added to the pot right after you get a good saute on the raw vegetables. 

It's all good eaten

Al

OH! Jambalay and a crawfish pie me oh myo

Nothing like a good Scout Master Cook Off to get me started

Gotta add this one to the list
Hahahahhaaha...sometimes I am positive I had more fun in the scouting world than my boys did.

I sure do miss those days.

A whole 1lb bag of long grain white.

Good luck

Craig

Awesome Craig, thanks for sharing.

Little surprised to see mushrooms, what type did you use?
I have never added the mushrooms...

It just didn't seem right to me.

Then again I have added some leftovers from time to time.

I use this as my starter for jambalaya...usually more of the trinity than called for and gator or some other kinda meat.

Have a great day!!

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky