Jambalaya on the offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Made Jambalaya in a cast iron pot on the offset. I've done this before and it turned out well.

Attachments

• 20220827_164320.jpg
    20220827_164320.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220827_174245.jpg
    20220827_174245.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220827_181329.jpg
    20220827_181329.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 32
Cast iron is all we use here in the Gonzales. La...a.k.a. The Jambalaya Capital of the World. Yours looks like a creole New Orleans style with tomato though....bet it was good.

Cast iron is all we use here in the Gonzales. La...a.k.a. The Jambalaya Capital of the World. Yours looks like a creole New Orleans style with tomato though....bet it was good.
That's the recipe we found. I'm interested in other recipe if you could share.

Sure man...no problem....here is a recipe from a World Champion Jambalaya cook-off winner.
https://gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya-gautreau.html

I like to finish in a 350*F oven....even heat means hardly any burn on the bottom.....

indaswamp indaswamp
Not to hijack a thread (pun intended and not) but have you ever tried making roux in cast iron in an oven? I use that method for all of mine now. I haven't burned a single speck of roux since I started doing that. 350* and stir every 15-20 minutes. I know you make prodigious quantities of the stuff at one time, but for a single batch needed, oven method cannot be beat.

Reactions: indaswamp
Yes I have made a roux in the oven...and it does work awesome. For a small batch, it is easy, but when doing large batches like I do, The pot is cumbersome to move when you have to stir when doing it in the oven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky