Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I posted this “recipe” in an older thread on casseroles and comfort foods. It’s been quite awhile since I’ve had it and it popped into my head today. Double batch general guidelines. (didn’t have time to capture a lot of process pics.) First up needed shredded chicken. Chicken was frozen so the Instant Pot for the call. Five lbs of frozen boneless skinless chicken breast into the IP with a cup and a half of chicken broth and 1T chile morita paste. 30 minutes on manual, quick release and shred. While that was going I diced 4 cups each time onion and poblano pepper. Mixed together the chicken, a little broth, several T of taco seasoning and the peppers and onions together. Split in half and layered in casserole pans.
878BCC6C-B21A-4B89-A10F-735FFC69069B.jpeg
While that was going I baked off 3 lbs of bacon and crumbled it up. Split into 4 even amounts. Softened 40 oz cream cheese in microwave and mix in half the bacon, 32 oz chopped up picked jalapeños and 1 packet ranch seasoning. I mixed this up in the Kitchen Aid mixer. Split in half and spread over the chicken mixture. I didn’t get a pic of this layer. Last top each with 12 oz shredded cheddar, 12 oz chopped picked jalapeño and half the remaining bacon.
3F5D84DF-EC57-4D78-BE90-7805EE8866C1.jpeg
Into the oven @ 375F for 25-30 minutes. Best to let cool some before slicing to serve.
8B22E543-66A5-4402-907B-9506D5C930BC.jpeg
Im hungry and promised some to my buddy and neighbors so rushed cutting into them. If I remember I’ll post a cooked cut shot later. This isn’t a meal that photos well but it’s super delicious. Thanks for looking.

Looks really good! I love casseroles...not only tasty but great for leftovers and quick meals!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
That looks so good 😊 I feel happy thinking about eating it! Ok, another for my list. It sounds almost like a Tex-Mex version of Mississippi chicken if you did the ranch seasoning, pickled jalapeño juice, and onion with the chicken? Awesome as always Jeff. Thank you for the inspiration!

Dang Jeff! You always cook for an Army?!! Looks delicious. If I'd seen that sooner. I would have made that instead of the jalapeno dip over the holidays.

Nice looking meal Jeff. Casseroles are always a favorite especially this time of year.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks really good! I love casseroles...not only tasty but great for leftovers and quick meals!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! It’s why I cook big batches. I’ll eat it most days this week, give some away and maybe freeze a little.
Looks and sounds like a great batch of food, in the line up with my plate in hand
looks are not everything Mona keeps telling me , lol

David
I love creating beautiful food but sometimes you just gotta eat some ugly deliciousness haha
That looks so good 😊 I feel happy thinking about eating it! Ok, another for my list. It sounds almost like a Tex-Mex version of Mississippi chicken if you did the ranch seasoning, pickled jalapeño juice, and onion with the chicken? Awesome as always Jeff. Thank you for the inspiration!
Thanks Jed. Yep it’s a bit of a spin off that for sure. Heck next time I might just do some Mississippi style. I have a lot of 2+ year old 5 lbs packs of boneless skinless breast to use up. I’m not a huge chicken breast fan so hide it in things like this.
Dang Jeff! You always cook for an Army?!! Looks delicious. If I'd seen that sooner. I would have made that instead of the jalapeno dip over the holidays.
I can’t seem to cook small batches lol. Luckily the neighbors and friends love that!
Nice looking meal Jeff. Casseroles are always a favorite especially this time of year.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. I’m with you, love comfort food this time of year.
Man that sounds great Jeff! Going to have to do this.
Thanks Brian! Give it a go, I think you will like it and it’s keto as well.
I like that . Great flavors .
Thanks Rich. I do love the Mexican and Tex-Mex flavors.
looks delicious, bookmarked and thanks for sharing
Thanks and you are quite welcome. Highest flattery to a cook is people making it and liking it. Let me know what you think good or bad.
Looks and sounds awesome. Nice work bud
Thanks Jake. I’ve been into these simple comfort foods lately. Fits my current turmoil pretty well.
And...another bookmark to add to the list.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Let me know what you think. I’m always up for constructive criticism of you find something that elevates it
you nailed that one! going to give this a shot & hopefully add this to our rotation.
Thanks. Hope you like it. Welcome feedback. Funny thing on this stuff is it’s far better day 2 and I even like it cold , kinda Wierd I know lol.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky