• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sonny, if the beef is 100% lean like you say, and you did not trim any fat off the pork (20~25% fat in boston butt), and you go 50/50 beef to pork, you will only have 10~12% fat in the sausages. I recommend saving fat caps from boston butts and adding 0.2lbs. of pork fat per each sealed 2# pack when you make sausage. This will get your fat up close to 20% where is should be, and you will now have 2.2lb. batches, which is 1 kilo. Easier to do sausage test batches in kilos for scaling purposes.....

Excellent Inda!
Thank you for the guidance!
There was a small amount of beef fat, but I would say not enough to really count. A fractional amount.
The Pork did seem to have a goodly amount. I trimmed nothing.
(Well, I did give the dog a few small morsels. He only ate the meat. Damn dog. :emoji_laughing: He's smarter than me. And NO, I did NOT put his rejects back in the mix.)
So instead of 1/6th of the fat, I want to raise that to 1/5th or 1/4er of the total 20% to 25%. I never thought about percentages.
I'm about to change sides on my measuring tape. Throw away the Kings Thumb, and read the CM side from now on.
It's just easier to figure in Metric.
Thank You for helping to pull me along!:emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky