I've got 25lbs of Pork Jowls...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
They are beautiful, but came with the skin on. I was planning to do a dry cure, and cold smoke them for bacon. Wondering if I should take the time to skin them or leave the skin on. I know the skin is a PIA to remove unless hot smoked, so just looking for some input. I am inclined to skin them.

That's a lot of piggies! Personally I would take the time to skin them. Gonna be a PIA but for me I would rather do it all at once and be done with it....also if I was making that much jowl bacon id deffinatly be making some pork jowl bacon burnt ends at some point. If you've never done it try it out...you wont be dissapointed!

Reactions: 73saint
1XaaykM.jpg

The ones I get are labeled as 'smoked', like you often see ham hocks. I score the skin and do a second smoke on them. I don't think the ones I get are worthy of bacon, but they do add flavor to beans or stews. I bet skinning them would not be that hard, plus you can remove some fat if needed.

Thanks y’all!! I’m definitely going to skin them. And I’ll save the skin for my boudin! Bout to get started now!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kruizer
That's a lot of piggies! Personally I would take the time to skin them. Gonna be a PIA but for me I would rather do it all at once and be done with it....also if I was making that much jowl bacon id deffinatly be making some pork jowl bacon burnt ends at some point. If you've never done it try it out...you wont be dissapointed!
Well I’ve done the regular (belly) bacon burnt ends And they were fantastic!!

Reactions: Sowsage
Ended up skinning them all. Boy was that some work, but I got better and better as I went. I took a pic of one of the “good” ones. Did my best, anyway.
B66EA39F-A359-4707-B53F-FA983DA5131F.jpeg
1D448573-8871-4694-87A9-033ABC923FE2.jpeg
ended up with just under 3 lbs of skin. Also, I did a basic dry cure splitting them up into bags of 4-5. I also added 1/4 cup of CBP, granulated onion and granulated garlic.
42D19831-8C23-4482-804F-32F5CE7C47E9.jpeg 04882456-7450-462A-BE8C-13A6261F9E1D.jpeg

13EF18F9-F552-48A3-901B-4A2E4B28B268.jpeg
6299D747-0F43-4C03-B9BC-DE608CA4857B.jpeg
25535755-97D9-44DC-A9F8-357B12541ECF.png EECF1AE9-045A-448C-A013-AC82C1A5AB58.jpeg
I typically do my bellys for 14 days minimum. So, unless someone can convince me otherwise, that will be my plan with these. They sure do seem pretty, I’m excited to see the outcome!

Reactions: JC in GB
Once again.... those are way nice. For grins, do a search for Guanciale , it's an Italian cheek bacon, same curing technique but the aromatics are slightly different. At any rate try some of your bacon with a carbonara or a spaghetti dish with some fresh herbs tossed in.

Once again.... those are way nice. For grins, do a search for Guanciale , it's an Italian cheek bacon, same curing technique but the aromatics are slightly different. At any rate try some of your bacon with a carbonara or a spaghetti dish with some fresh herbs tossed in.
I considered Guanciale, I just don’t know much about it. Maybe I should have tried it with a few of them. Is it smoked?

Saint , I'm watching this . Those are nice .
I don't think Guanciale is smoked .
Thanks! Yes, the Guanciale... I looked it up. I’m actually building a drying chamber as we speak, so, for now I don’t think I could make it anyway.

Yes, the Guanciale... I looked it up. I’m actually building a drying chamber as we speak, so, for now I don’t think I could make it anyway.
Grind up a couple pounds and stuff in some Umai . You'll be famous . Lol.

• Haha
Howdy Saint!!
I see you went & removed the skins before I got here.
I would have done the same, as I remove ALL skins (Ham, Fish, Bacon, Etc) except Poultry, before smoking, because I want to smoke to get to the parts I'm going to eat.
Be Back---I'll be waiting in the Bleachers!!

Bear

A link to the thread I just started in case anyone wants to see the final results.

Man we just save them for white bean soup!
I eat that at least once or twice a week & the jowls really make them good!
No smoking, just a crock pot!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky