IT'S TRUE, JEFF'S RUBS ARE "AWARD WINNING"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
Let me first say that I know I will get ripped for not enough pictures.. as most know I don't do pictures (often) as I don't own a cell phone let alone a phone that takes pictures... Some others took a few and sent them to me ...

So our local County Fair was a go this year (1st and only one in the US)... They have a Charity BBQ Competition (14 yrs now) every year... Any winnings go to the local charity of your choice... $50 entry fee gets you a bag of Kingsford charcoal and what ever the choice of meat is.. This years choice was Brisket... They were pretty small this year (flats) 5-7 lbs ...

Draw a number from the hat for your pick of meat and turn in time... #1 gets first pick of meat ... BUT... has to turn in at 4pm (8am was start time)... #2 picks and turns in at 4:05... 3 @4:10 ... etc. etc... Each has it's pros and cons... If you are last pick you get whatever is left and not chosen... BUT ... you get to cook longer ... total number of teams dictates how much longer... Unfortunately this year didn't have as many entries (6) as the norm (15 limit and usually full) ...

We (Team Refuze-2-Luze BBQ) drew #3... They do let us start fires early so that's a good thing... I had the Weber 22.5" Kettle humming along @ 275` ...

Here's our set up...

Set Up.jpg

Brisket was injected with beef broth and some worsty mixed in... Then sprayed with EVOO and rubbed med/heavy with Jeff's "TEXAS STYLE RUB" exactly as recipe states...
Sorry about BIG pics... can't figure out how to make it smaller ..

Rub'd down.jpg

Brisket went on at 0830 .. rolled smoke with Pecan chunks... Drip pan had the rest of injection broth and then poured all the blood from the cryovacked pack in the pan as well ... Checked IT at the 4 hr mark.. IT was 155`.. went another hour and then wrapped... was done @ 200` (probe tested everywhere for tenderness) ... Off smoker and in cooler @1430 (2:30)... @1540 I removed from foil wrap (poured this juice in drip pan too) and put back in the kettle to try and firm bark back up a little bit.. removed from grill @ 1555... sliced (screwed this up, more on that later) and put slices back in the drip pan juices.. and rested in juice 10 minutes... Made up the turn in box (NOTHING but meat and sauce is allowed in turn in box, NOTHING or be DQ'd) and off to the judges it went...

Here's a pic of some pieces cut up for all to try (yes that's JckDanls07)

Slicing.jpg

Now it's time for tasting and sharing... OMGGGGGGGGG ... this is BY FAR the best brisket I've (and every body that tasted) ever had ... I was feeling pretty good about our chances after that. .. A win would get a $500 check sent to the local boys and girls club (our charity of choice) in the name of "Team Refuze-2-Luze BBQ" ... 2nd - $250 .. . 3rd - $150

We also have a little side appetizer contest going on throughout the day... Everybody (most) makes an appetizer and then passes them around for all to try... at the end of the day you cast your ballot for your fav. appetizer .. We made Stuffed Mushrooms.. stuffed with a sausage/cream cheese dip my wife makes...

So at the end of the day when it came time for results we stood and listened patiently...

For Appetizers.. winner is... STUFFED MUSHROOMS... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA... we won ...

For Brisket ... winner is ... "TEAM REFUZE-2-LUZE .... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA again ..

So when Jeff say's his rubs are award winning... you best believe him cuz here's the proof ...

Plaque.jpg

So we actually swept the day and won both categories ... First time that's been done ...

Here's "Team Refuze -2-Luze" ...

Team Rufuze-2-Luze.jpg

PS. As I said above about slicing... After it was all over the guy that runs the show pulled me over to the side to tell me that I almost didn't get the win as I had sliced it WITH the grain instead of against it... When I was in the middle of slicing it I said F****, I'm slicing with the grain and not against it... F**** I said again... I was paying more attention to the thickness of the slice and also to slicing on the bias (angled) instead of straight down... Didn't notice the grain till half way through it ... Told team mates that this may not be good... and sure enough they dinged me on it but not enough to not get the win ...

So again... BUY Jeff's rub's... they really are award winning ...

Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
Congrats Keith! A great day was had by all. That Brisket looks delicious, well obviously as you said, and it won. Very happy for you and your Team. Excellent work.

Congrats! And a great story, thanks for sharing! Jeff's rubs are definitely very good, as is his sauce

Ryan

Awesome Keith. Congrats. I havent tried Jeffs beef rub yet. I have it thou.

Good stuff and congrats! I’ll have to try the Texas rub. I can say I’ve made Jeff’s BBQ sauce for some friends who consider themselves to be bbq aficionados a few times and they swear it’s the best they’ve ever had.

Thanks Jerry...

I was goofing around at work and told them if they ever wanted to hire a Pro that I was available.. we all laughed at that one...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky