It's BUTT Sunday!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Trimmed the fat cap and let it brine overnight (15 hours) in 3/4 salt, 2 quarts of water and 8oz Molasses. Removed from fridge, patted dry, applied a light spray of oil and then the rub (recipe in sig below). Went on the smoker, set to 190º at 5:45am. Bumped to get grate temp up to 265º at 7am. IT at 11:24am is 148º. Graph is showing the temp rise is slowing, so the stall is near. Once It's been in the stall for a bit the plan is to wrap. Have an early dinner planned with the kiddos, so wrapping and into a 300º oven at that point will ensure it gets done and still time to rest.

IMG_4761.jpg

Last edited:
The recap: wife wanted to go to lunch so I bumped the smoker to 280º. Got back and the IT was 170º but it was already after 2pm so I dbl wrapped and put it into the oven since dinner was to be at 5pm. At 3:45pm the IT was 205º and it was placed in a cooler until we were ready to eat which ended up being after 5pm. As it usually happens, family get togethers took front stage and again I forget to take a finishing photo. Regardless, it was great! Bark still held up pretty well, very juicy and flavor was a 10. It's very hard to mess up a butt no matter how you get them done. Plenty of leftovers for all sorts of things.
Might try chili with some of it?

Reactions: OldSmoke
That is one beautiful butt right there!! Color is gorgeous and I bet it was super tasty. Tracy is beating me over the head to smoke a couple more because we're out. I might have to succumb to her demands looking at this.

Robert

Hey Robert,
Always best for good harmony in the house. SWMBO is still a good practice, that is, within reason :emoji_laughing:

Matt

Awesome job! That looks really tasty!

Yup, between the PP and the mac&cheese everybody got their fill. Best part was watching our 11 mo. old grandson shove pieces of the pulled pork into his mouth. The kid loved it!

• Love
Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky