It's BEAN Awhile!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Whenever I smoke ribs, I trim off the skirt meat as well as the brisket rib tips and smoke them along with the ribs.
But instead of enjoying them along with the ribs, I save them for my winter comfort food: bean soup!
BEAN craving some since the snow started flying.

Nothing fancy, just follow the instructions on the package of Hurst's HamBeens Brand 15 Bean Soup.
IMG_0758.jpg

Smoked Ham and Hurst's HamBeens Brand15 Bean Soup
Ingredients:

1 lb Ham and Ham Bone (OR use diced smoked skirt meat and rib tips!)
1 Cup Onions
1 Cup Celery
1 15 oz. Can of Stewed Tomatoes
1 t Chili Powder
Juice of One Lemon (approx. 3 T)
2 t Minced Garlic
2 Bay Leaves
1 Bag HamBeens Brand 15 Bean Soup Beans

Directions:
  • Place beans in a large pot with 2 quarts of water. Allow beans to soak overnight, or at least 8 hours.
  • After soaking, drain water; add 2 quarts of fresh water, ham bone, meat , and bay leaves.
  • Bring beans to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 1½ hours.
  • After simmering, add onions, celery, tomatoes, chili powder, lemon juice, and garlic. Simmer covered for another 30 minutes.
  • Add contents of ham packet 1 to 2 minutes before cooking is completed. Salt and pepper to taste.
For a commercially packaged soup it is good on its own, but the smoked skirt meat and rib tips REALLY adds another level of enjoyment!

Simmering along nicely!
IMG_0759 2.jpg

And finally, the fruits of your labor!
IMG_0760.jpg

Thanks for viewing,

John

Last edited:
That looks real good! And just one more reason to buy full spares .....i loving using the tips and whatever I trim off for stuff like this. Perfect meal for a cold snowy day!

Reactions: BandCollector
Comfort food at it's finest right there! I agree with you... that skirt meat makes a great addition to other meals, if it makes it past cook's snacks!

Ryan

Comfort food at it's finest right there! I agree with you... that skirt meat makes a great addition to other meals, if it makes it past cook's snacks!

Ryan

That is always the hard part. . .Convincing myself to save the skirt meat after I have had a few beers while smoking the ribs. . .LOL!

Fortunately, I sum up the willpower and reap the benefits this time of year.

John

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That's one fine looking pot of soup. I've made that before with the same beans and a bunch of ham. Interesting timing of your post. I've been craving a big pot of thick, rich, bean soup for a couple weeks now and have plans to make some in the nest couple days. This definitely has driven the point home. Excellent job!!

Robert

That looks fantastic . I do the same when trimming spares . Save that brisket flap .
Getting ready to do these next week .
Nice post .

Looks great! Like the others, I'm now in the mood to make some also. I like smoked pork hocks and some sliced chorizo sausage in mine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky