It's A Dog's Life: Tomahawk Time (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Robert a picture is better than a thousand words , well than like Jake said the picture of the resting steak with the knife. That's all there is to say

I can not add any thing else but Fantastic

David ....oh and lucky dog ha ha

Yesterday was the first really nice weekend day we've had this season so as usual it was spent working in the yard. Early afternoon on one of my 800 or so trips back and froth from the garage to the back yard Tracy mentioned that it's been a while since Bianca (the Beagle in my avatar) has had a nice bone. She thought it was maybe time for the puppy to enjoy part of our dinner. Ok...due to the time, it rules out beef chuck short ribs. That leaves me the option of a Porterhouse or a Tomahawk. All in all not bad choices I guess. Stopped at the freezer and saw a gorgeous 2 1/4 pound Tomahawk and grabbed it. Into a sink full of cold water to defrost. With all that was going on I needed a way to cook it, as well as the rest of the meal, in a way that didn't require a lot of time or attention. Decided to smoke and sear the steak. Fired up the homemade cabinet smoker after a bit and took a few minutes to get things rolling.

The steak
View attachment 627219

A little Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and a bunch of black pepper
View attachment 627220

Onto the smoker running 225 with mesquite
View attachment 627221

The steak must have still been partially frozen because it was taking forever to reach my target temp of 115 to pull it for the sear. Jacked the smoker temp up a bunch and it got away from me. Overshot my 115 goal.
View attachment 627222

It took about an hour and a half but off the smoker and will go on the grill in a little bit
View attachment 627223

In the midst of the melee I managed to cut up a nice salad. We do love our salads around here.
View attachment 627224

I put the sear grates on the grill and fired up the sear burner wide open. Running about 1100 degrees. This thing makes a LOT of smoke at that temp.
View attachment 627225

Not a whole lot of time for picture taking but it's done and in the house. I'll say that this is one of the best looking steaks I've ever cooked
View attachment 627226

Sliced for serving. I think I'm a happy camper and Bianca has a nice bone
View attachment 627227

Plated with the salad and a loaded baked potato
View attachment 627228

Out to the patio to enjoy a much deserved dinner. We were whipped so this was a nice respite
View attachment 627229

Wow...a light but noticeable smoke flavor along with the subtle flavors from the seasonings made for an outstanding combination. Couple all that with the fantastic beefy flavor of the CPB and it's an unbeatable meal. Both of us ate way more than we should have but it was oh so worth it. Interesting though....Tracy is still reeling from the case of tenderloin roasts I recently got but asked me how many of the tomahawks we have left in the freezer. I didn't know but she told me to make sure we NEVER run out of these. I'll take that to be a positive :emoji_wink:

Well gotta call this one done. Sunday chores await as well as cooking breakfast for my dearly beloved. Y'all take care and keep the amazing array of threads coming. The recent content has been totally over the top!!

Robert, Tracy, and the fat dog
yessir..... thats the way you do it.

If it was as tender and tasty as the one you sent me it was perfect. And you do wonderful things with them. I know Melia, my lab mix, made short work of the bone!

Jim

I having a week from Hell here.

Man Brian, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully things are getting better.

Simple, efficient and outstanding!
Some day I'm going to break down and get a couple of those

In one respect, this roast when I order from CPB is nice because they come one roast to an order, which is typically between 25 and 30 pounds. The rest of the primal cuts I buy are multiple roasts per order and can easily hit the 50 pound mark for an order. The drawback is that the 103 sub primal rib sections are a 7 bone roast. That means if you want to do all tomahawks, you only get 7 steaks...but they are huge :emoji_laughing: The one I sent to Jim ( JLeonard JLeonard ) that he recently osted was in excess of 3 pounds.

Another beautiful cool Robert! Done perfectly and man the char sear on the steak is money!!

Thanks Jeff. As troublesome as that grill has been, having that 1100 degree sear burner is nice. At that temp you could char an anvil if you wanted to :emoji_wink:

Robert

WOW Robert another killer cook and plate. One day I will have a Tomahawk steak…its on the never had one list

Thanks so much Dave. One thing I love about the tomahawks is that the meat nearer the bone takes longer to cook and the one adds flavor. That means Tracy gets her part a little more one and mine is exactly the way I like it.

Perfect looking Steak, as always Robert !!
You never disappoint me!
I hope you left a little meat on that bone, for Bianca!

The compliments are very humbling my friend and very much appreciated. Trust me though, Bianca had a nice chunk of meat on the bone. She loves the steaks more than we do so I make sure she gets her fair due :emoji_wink:

I agree . Perfectly cooked .

Thanks so much Chop. Nothing like having a good instant read thermometer to take the guess work out of cooking :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Nice job Robert. That pic of the steak resting is money

Very much appreciated Jake. When I bring the big steaks like this in I let them sit for a few minutes then turn them over so the juices re-distribute in the meat. When I turned this one I was really happy. It looked good.

Beautiful and perfect as always Robert!

Thanks so much Jed. Coming from a chef of your caliber that is a very high compliment.

you’re definitely a major contributor to the sprinting Indian Run of threads lately

Not exactly what the sprinting Indian Run is but it sounds like a compliment so I'll graciously accept it.

That is one incredible cook there Robert.

Never had a tomahawk but definitely will be on the to do list. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you John. If you've never had one you gotta gotta gotta do it. Doesn't necessarily need all that long bone sticking out but the meat at the bone is outstanding!!

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
I have to agree, one of the best looking steaks I've ever seen Robert!

Thanks so much my friend. I was pretty happy with the way this one came out.

That thing is beautiful!... Perfectly cooked and from the looks of the cutting board it was nice and juicy!!! Im glad you got a nice day to enjoy while doing chores...its cold and windy here again!

Jeez Travis, will you ever get good weather?? Yes sir, it was juicy and plenty flavorful as well as a fitting end to a long day of work.

Bianca must have been a very happy dog!

O+h yes!! She does love her bones.

I had a beagle named Flo that would hide whatever bone you gave her

Great story. Bianca does the exact same thing. She has bones buried all over the house and back yard. We have a huge wicker basket in the family room that is full of stuffed animals for her. I call it Bianca's Ark and that's where she hides most of them. We will be sitting there watching a few minutes of TV in the evening and all of a sudden he's in the Ark digging around and comes out with a bone. We know the routine by now :emoji_wink:

But when the dog needs a bone, you do what you have to do.

That's almost true. In all honesty though I do whatever Tracy says I have to do for the dog :emoji_laughing: I think if it came down to brass tacks and she had to decide between me and Bianca i'd end up losing.

Robert

I don't have a dog so more then likely it's me knawing on that bone, yum yum with a nice cold adult beverage of course.

Too funny!! That was me as a kid. I'd always be wanting the bone and I'd gnaw that thing till there was not a scrap left on it.

That is a puppy living its best life. Oh yeah dinner looked great too.

No doubt that dog lives a good life.When I die, I want to be reincarnated as Tracy's dog :emoji_laughing:

Perfect looking steak Robert. I gotta try one of those sometime, looks oh so tasty

Thanks so much. We certainly enjoyed it after a long day of yard work. The bone-in rib eyes are hard to beat as far as flavor goes.

Robert

Robert my friend, that is just about as good as it can get! Perfect cook on that steak and the meal as a whole looks top notch!

BTW, I did mail off the adoption papers…. So here shortly I hope you can claim a mostly housebroken, horizontally challenged redneck on your tax return! 😉

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky