Italian Herb and cheese sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Well I went out to get some eggs , they were out . So I came home with an 8 lb. pork butt and made some sausage .
My son gave me a couple new mixes from The Sausage maker . One was Italian Herb and cheese . I do all my sausage over a couple days . Just easier that way . So I cut and ground after getting home . Cleaned up everything , then mixed in the seasoning and cheese . Back in the fridge for an over night . I put plastic wrap down tight on the meat paste . I store the casing wet , so they are always ready to go . Nice and tender .
I got up the next morning early to get the stuffing done . This stuff smells fantastic . My kids walked out and said " smells like the deli in here " Lol .
Here's the mix ,
20201229_124233.jpg
Uses 2 cups cubed motz , and 2/3 cup fresh grated Romano .I had 8 lbs. so I cut that back a bit .
I started to cube the cheese , when I remembered something .
20201229_124202.jpg 20201229_124210.jpg
I've had that thing on it's way to the trash more than once . Always brought it back in the house .
It really worked good for this .
20201229_124217.jpg 20201229_124520.jpg
Perfect size for this . It has a 1/2 inch die also .
20201229_124651.jpg
Before and after mixing . Had to split to mix , then mixed that together .
Looks like a fatty mix , but there's a lot of cheese in there .
20201229_125820.jpg 20201229_130832.jpg
I've put a lot of sausage thru the 5 lb. Lem Still going , but it's getting tired . Needs some new bushings .
Run the sausage to the end of the tube .
20201230_091839.jpg 20201230_091942.jpg
Casings slides right on .
20201230_092107.jpg 20201230_092617.jpg
I tend to stuff these pretty loose . Then I link towards the open end .
20201230_092505.jpg 20201230_094630.jpg
I use an oven jerky rack to dry the casings after stuffing . Ended up with 6 1/2 lbs. of links
and 2 bags at 1 1/4 lbs. each . 24 links about 8 " long .
20201230_095527.jpg 20201230_095626.jpg
20201230_110550.jpg
I put them in cheap bags and freeze over night , then vac the next day .
20201230_111417.jpg
OK ,, someone decided they wanted Homemade Ravioli and Italian herb sausage
for New Years eve supper .
I used some ricotta cheese for the filling . Semolina flour for the pasta .
20201231_142951.jpg 20201231_144149.jpg
I just get some color on the sausage , then pour a good store bought sauce on them .
Put a lid on , lower the heat .
20201231_174245.jpg 20201231_175903.jpg
I used store bought on the sausage , but my Son makes a fantastic homemade sauce .
That's what we saved for the rav's .
Boiled them off , and mixed in some sauce so they didn't stick together .
20201231_181856.jpg
Plated up with some take and bake bread from the store .
20201231_183559.jpg 20201231_183605.jpg
20201231_183653.jpg
This is some of the best Italian we've had . Everything about it is great .
Taste , smell and texture all spot on . This mix will have to take place of the sweet ( fennel ) sausage I
normally make .
Thanks for lookin .

Wow!!!
That All looks Fantastic!!
The Pics just kept getting better & better. Wish there were more. LOL
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Darn nice looking stuff right there Chop!! Excellent job. I've recently started using some of TSM pre mixed spices for sausage and have really enjoyed all of them. Matter of fact I just did a batch of the Hot Italian over the weekend and it''s fantastic!! Their mixes are slowly taking over my recipes I've put together the past few years. Side note: I have the exact same chopper you have. Mine has never been relegated as a trash item and it doesn't get used very often, but it is handy to have around. I also use it for cubing ham to make ham salad. Ya gotta slice the ham pretty thin to get it to cut but it works really well.

Robert

Heck yeah bud everything looks amazing!
Thanks Jake . I see you've mentioned making your own sausage . It's a great way to go .

Wow!!!
That All looks Fantastic!!
The Pics just kept getting better & better. Wish there were more. LOL
Nice Job!
Thanks John . Heck I actually took some of the pics down .
Appreciate the comments .

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks very good! I've had the TSM summer sausage mixes before. And was underwhelmed with the flavor until I did a second batch. And added about a 1/4 more mix then they stated. Then it was good.
After reading this I might just try their sausage blend. Thanks for posting.

Nice sausages chop! I like that cheese dicer too!
Thanks bud . It worked good for the cheese . Use a 1/4 inch slice and don't force it .
Italian was one that I always mixed up from scratch . This was such a hit gonna be hard to sell the fennel sausage anymore .

I’m drooling over here😀. Nicely done👍
Thanks johnny !

Nice work chop!

they were out . So I came home with an 8 lb. pork butt and made some sausage .
Funny how that happens sometimes lol!

How was the heat? My family likes the sweet italian but not the hot. They would love the addition of all the cheese.

That a beautiful piece of work Rich, everything looks perfect, Big Like! We must be on the same wave length, I'm headed off in a little bit to get the semolina and some other stuff, slated to make lobster-shrimp-ricotta cheese ravioli tomorrow. RAY

That sausage and the ravioli looks fabulous, Rich! I bet everything tasted amazing.

Pretty cool idea cubing the cheese with the onion chopper! I bought one years ago for a gift for my mother. Hardly ever got used, I might have to remember this next time I need to cube up some cheese.

Looks very good!
Thanks Steve . This is a good one . Some others I've had were short on flavor , and have had to add more . Just be careful of salt doing that .

Nice work chop!
Thanks !
How was the heat? My family likes the sweet italian but not the hot. They would love the addition of all the cheese.
Travis no heat at all . The Italian herbs and the cheese make up the flavor . No fennel , anise or red pepper . You can get a wine flavored hard cheese and use that too . That mix contains soy . Not sure if that affects someone with nut allergies or not . Just in case / FYI .

That a beautiful piece of work
Thank you sir . Appreciate that .

I'm headed off in a little bit to get the semolina and some other stuff, slated to make lobster-shrimp-ricotta cheese ravioli tomorrow.
I've been messing with the pasta making for a couple years . Some good results some bad . This was the best Ravioli success . None fell apart .
Wife is from an Italian family . Christmas dinner at her Aunts house was homemade ravioli , meatballs , pasta . Some of the best sauce around . They gave my son the recipe , and he gets it real close . People in the family starting passing on , grand kids born . Those days are passed now .
I've got some pasta q's for ya .

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky