It was the Dark of the Moon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
...on the 6th of June in a Kenworth hauling logs. Cabover Pete with a refer on and a Jimmy hauling hogs. We was headed for bear I-1-0 about a mile out of Shakytown. I said Pig Pen this here's the Rubber Duck and I'm about to put the hammer down.

God I love that song!! At one point when I was a lot younger I have every C.W. McCall album out there and knew every song by heart. I've forgotten a lot of them but Convoy is on my Pandora playlist so I still hear it regularly.

Robert

...on the 6th of June in a Kenworth hauling logs. Cabover Pete with a refer on and a Jimmy hauling hogs. We was headed for bear I-1-0 about a mile out of Shakytown. I said Pig Pen this here's the Rubber Duck and I'm about to put the hammer down.

God I love that song!! At one point when I was a lot younger I have every C.W. McCall album out there and knew every song by heart. I've forgotten a lot of them but Convoy is on my Pandora playlist so I still hear it regularly.

Robert
I get FaceTime videos from my grankids singing it when it comes on the radio lol. Had a group text going with our sons today too. Every year lol.

Reactions: smokin peachey
I get FaceTime videos from my grankids singing it when it comes on the radio lol
Wow, three generations of people loving that song. That says a lot about it.
CW was the mayor of a small town south of us called Ouray
There is some beautiful country our around Ouray, "up on the great divide" (another CW song). I plan on taking a trip out there next Spring for a week or so just enjoying all of the natural beauty of the whole area. Ouray, Telluride, Wolf Creek Pass, and the list goes on.

Robert

Ouray is known as "The Jeep Capital of North America".

When I lived CO, we went to Ouray for 4th of July one year.
Needed to book hotel a year in advance to get one.
On the night of the fourth, Jeeps and any others that wanted to join would go up the mountain and they would put flares on the front of every vehicle.
Quite the sight when they came down into town.

Wow, three generations of people loving that song. That says a lot about it.

There is some beautiful country our around Ouray, "up on the great divide" (another CW song). I plan on taking a trip out there next Spring for a week or so just enjoying all of the natural beauty of the whole area. Ouray, Telluride, Wolf Creek Pass, and the list goes on.

Robert
well 4. I sent it to my dad also

Reactions: smokin peachey
Saw the original post this morning and played the video...Didnt even dawn on me what day it was until I went back and started reading the replies just now. Heck I even sang along in my head!

Jim

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 7.24.21 PM.jpg

Reactions: flatbroke
Keeping it real.

On the 6th of June, 1944. America launched the largest land, air and sea invasion ever in the history of the world. This was operation Overlord. Or now known as D-Day. God Bless all who were there and all who died there.

Liberation from Tyranny is no small task. But that liberation was established and started that 6th of June. We must respect and remember.

That really brings back a lot of memories. I still remember my first C.B. radio, a 23 channel Johnson Messenger 123a. I bought a converter and a Starduster Ground Plane and used it as a base and, with a quick release mount, in my truck. At 5 watts, it was good for local communications. Then in 1977 along came the FCC approval for 40 channels and sideband. My first real base station was a President Washington which I had tuned for up to 27.805MHz, or channel 80. That, a KW 1000 watt linear amp, a D104 power mic, and a set of stacked Moonraker 4's on a Ham II rotor being fed through Belden 8214 coax and I could talk skip all around the world. Always talked on the flat side and LSB, for those that know...:emoji_wink: I had a logbook, which has long since disappeared, and I had talked to someone, supposedly, in about 75 different countries. Great memories from a more innocent time and the original social media. I could go on and on and on about it...

That really brings back a lot of memories. I still remember my first C.B. radio, a 23 channel Johnson Messenger 123a. I bought a converter and a Starduster Ground Plane and used it as a base and, with a quick release mount, in my truck. At 5 watts, it was good for local communications. Then in 1977 along came the FCC approval for 40 channels and sideband. My first real base station was a President Washington which I had tuned for up to 27.805MHz, or channel 80. That, a KW 1000 watt linear amp, a D104 power mic, and a set of stacked Moonraker 4's on a Ham II rotor being fed through Belden 8214 coax and I could talk skip all around the world. Always talked on the flat side and LSB, for those that know...:emoji_wink: I had a logbook, which has long since disappeared, and I had talked to someone, supposedly, in about 75 different countries. Great memories from a more innocent time and the original social media. I could go on and on and on about it...
that’s pretty cool. My grandfather was a dentist. He also ran a base station and grandma had a cb in the vehicle. He/she could talk for miles. I dotn remember seeing a cb in his Porsche though. Just her wagon lol

Awesome song! For some reason the volume always increases when that song comes on. It's ok JLeonard JLeonard I didn't even catch that until I read your post lol! But I had two Peterbuilts hauling my hogs this morning .
I did know yesterday was the anniversary of D - Day... God bless all that served and we're there that day!

Ryan

I did know yesterday was the anniversary of D - Day... God bless all that served and we're there that day!

Ryan
Amen Ryan! My grandfather was there and fought his way across Europe until a German sniper took out his knee. He never really talked much about it, but when he did he had some amazing stories.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky