It’s Smoked Prime NY Roast Monday.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So picked up a whole prime NY roast slab from Costco last week (25 bills off, ended up 10/lb) and today was time to smoke up a couple of roasts for a Monday night feast......

Saturday, I cut the the big bad boy up into some steaks and a couple of smaller roasts. They got seasoned with some salt and Kinders Steak rub then back in the fridge for 2 days of dry brine. The steaks got grilled last night for a quick meal but the roasts waiting for Monday.....

they went in the RT1250 @ 235 till the IT hit 135 (about 140 mins).....
BB143E4C-DBDE-418B-A3C2-089D35E0FDEC.jpeg

Loving the color! Then they went in the house oven to hold @140....
F7225E6A-926F-47D1-8475-6AD19BAF53DC.jpeg

while they hung out in the warm oven the wife made up some classic Gorgon Ramsey Yukon Mash (pure heaven) and I seared up some onions and baby Bella’s that were braised in a bit of Au Jus....
8F4CBB7B-3D65-482A-A78B-BE559ACAE1B5.jpeg

After about 60 min in the oven, the NY was sliced........oh Man this is pure Monday happiness.......
E47D5737-0C4C-41E1-B0D6-4ADEA284E37E.jpeg

All plated up with my quick Au Jus recipe but this time I dropped a chopped celery stick @ carrot in why it reduced.....it helped add a nice velvety touch so I will be doing that more often.......so here is the NY Monday!
D7B6FE1F-EBA2-447C-A194-6EF5FEE16F42.jpeg

Holy smoked smoked meat MONEY, this may have to become a Monday night tradition!!!
20423AD8-B9B6-47D8-83D5-6C11A59DC418.jpeg

as many may have caught on but I’m becoming a BELIEVER in the rest at serve temp for roasted proteins.....there is just something about that time to equalize.....plus it makes the timing of the slice to plate perfect with the rest of the meal......no more the meat is done we have to rush.....it’s the Lazyboy of roasting.....

Last edited:
Oh man! That looks perfect, I can taste it just by looking at it. Outstanding plate, well done!

That NY roast looks amazing. Know about how many lb 's roasts were?

And tell me more about resting meat on roasted potatoes.

I don't think you should be allowed to be that happy on a Monday night... without me at least! That meal looks like pure heaven!

Ryan

Looks Great, Civil !!
"El Perfecto"
You can't even get a better looking New York Steak in New York!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

That NY roast looks amazing. Know about how many lb 's roasts were?

And tell me more about resting meat on roasted potatoes.
The whole thing was 10 lbs so the smaller one was about 3.5 lbs, the larger about 5.

resting meat on roasted potatoes.........LOL Resting meat for roasted protein. Ie I now do all me prime ribs and roasts at 235 till an IT of 135 then rest in the 140 degree oven for 30 to 60 min. For pork butt, I smoke at 275 till IT of 160 ish then cover till pull temp then rest in 180 degree oven for 2 to 4 hours. Brisket the same....I can put a small brisket on at 7 am and have it for dinner at 6 pm... same for pulled pork....Makes doing brisket a weekday smoke....it is also easy and repeatable and since its resting, there is NO pressure on the timing of sides or if dinner happens a bit late....you simply pull from the oven when you want and bingo.....IE it pretty much mirrors how food service (aka restaurants) do it. All pulled pork, brisket, ribs, prime rib is cooked before you ever step foot into a restaurant and is holding at a proper temp for you to order.....

I don't think you should be allowed to be that happy on a Monday night... without me at least! That meal looks like pure heaven!

Ryan
Do we live in a virtual world now.....I mean everything can be done on line right....

Thanks Ryan, you will have to try adding the carrot and celery to the Au Jus, it is a nice add!

Where do you live, I'm available on most Monday nights...:emoji_laughing:

The roasts/steaks look amazing, just the way we like them...
Right past no tellem creek across the street from hidden steak ally.....Come on over there is....was plenty

Wow! Looks awesome!
Great meal!
Thanks yankee!

That is one beautiful looking piece of beef!
Done just the way we like it.
Al
Thanks Al! It was a perfect treat and my wife's fav for red meat!

Looks Great, Civil !!
"El Perfecto"
You can't even get a better looking New York Steak in New York!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Many thanks Bear! The older I get the more I enjoy a good NY roast and this just kept that enjoyment alive for sure!
Man , that's perfect edge to edge . Fantastic looking meal .
Thanks chop, I have been experimenting with temp and resting over the past year and I think I'm done experimenting after arriving at the simple but ideal edge to edge doneness and overall tenderness!

Which knife did you cut it with?😉🤪

That looks KILLER, Mr "C"!!!
Thanks fork......Well.... the knife you think (hope) did it is a blade at Buck knifes in a minus 300 degree liquid nitrogen bath getting grain aligned only to be softened to keep from shattering like glass....... :-)

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky