isuhunter's quest for the Versatile smoker design & build thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

isuhunter

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Hi everyone! I'm here in hopes of building my perfect smoker. I want to make this a very versatile smoker as you can see in my 'wants' section. As I lurk through the forums I'm becoming more confused on what I should do. A lot of my cooks will be single items or toss a chicken in to have frozen chicken on hand. I currently have experience on an offset woodburner (cheap craigslist find), UDS that I use often, and weber Kettle that I have gone to using an indirect heat method of cooking on. I'm newer to welding and fab work. I purchased an Millermatic 211 a year ago and am itching for projects.

My Wants:
- Vertical layout - may end up mounting on small trailer or wheeled plat form with hitch
- CookingChamber - 24" wide x 18" deep x 28" tall
- FireBox - 24" wide x 18" deep x 10" tall (too big/too small?)
- Ability to smoke ribs, chicken, pork butts, brisket, prime rib etc.
- Ability to smoke at <200 for making homemade bacon & for hanging sausages
- Charcoal burning (adding some wood chunks)

Questions:
-Insulated cabinet - I'm in Iowa and smoke all year long. I assume I should go insulated - how thick of walls? 1.25"
- I was thinking of keeping it simple and using an approach much like a UDS or the Old Country Smokehouse - but after seeing reverse flows I'm intrigued. Thoughts on which would be best?
- What is the temp range on the GF cabinets? I've never had any experience around them but I like the idea of long cooks.

Attached is my UDS and a quick sketchup of what I had in mind yesterday.

Attachments

• UDS drum.JPG
    UDS drum.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Smoker design.JPG
    Smoker design.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 54
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky