Issues with Masterbuily

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
The electronics crapped out on my unit. I select the temperature and try and enter a time and it shows me temperature OR temperature goes wonky. I tried placing a warranty claim and cannot because I'm in CAnada. I MUST have a STATE. Even though said in Canada. It need to upload pictures and maximum file size for a post less than for 2 pictures so cannot proceed.

Any suggestions?

Very frustrated that this is happening as I did not power wash it (lost 2 that way) and electronics crap out still. These things should last more than a year and be able to be out in the elements. Sorry for the vent!!!

Reactions: JLeonard
I had the same issue on my last Masterbuilt, electronics lasting about 18 months (outdoors AND covered). Went on eBay and found a new display/control, and swapped it out. I think I paid about $30 shipped. After that, I started moving it into my shed and back out to use it - and it stayed working for nearly 4 years until I moved to my current Meadow Creek BX25.

Reactions: negolien
Mines been outside for 4 years under just a cover 0 issues. Did you go thru Masterbuilts fb messenger?

popcorn 2.jpg

It is under a cover when not in use.. Guess going forward need to not use it if there is a threat of rain.

The electronics crapped out on my unit. I select the temperature and try and enter a time and it shows me temperature OR temperature goes wonky. I tried placing a warranty claim and cannot because I'm in CAnada. I MUST have a STATE. Even though said in Canada. It need to upload pictures and maximum file size for a post less than for 2 pictures so cannot proceed.

Any suggestions?

Very frustrated that this is happening as I did not power wash it (lost 2 that way) and electronics crap out still. These things should last more than a year and be able to be out in the elements. Sorry for the vent!!!
Hey there.

If the top controller is misbehaving then your options are to find another replacement, buy a new one, or the superior option is to rewire and use an Auber PID controller.

The rewire is simply cutting the ends off 4 wires and using a wire nuts to twist together the ends making 2 whole wires.

From that point the MES plug will feed power to the heating element with the safety switch still in the mix.

You plug the Auber PID into the wall the the MES plug into the Auber PID. Next you drop the Auber PID temp probe down the smoker vent and clip to the bottom center of the lowest rack and then punch in your set temp to the Auber PID controller. Done!

The Auber PID controller will then cut power on/off to hit and hold the set temp you entered in. It will hold within 1-3 degrees steady and most of us have it hold dead on with no fluctuation.

It's easy and just takes a little bit of tinkering that people with no wire cutting and splicing experience have done easily.

One last thing. If you change the crappy Masterbuilt electrical connectors at the heating element and safety switch with these then you eliminate those things from corroding away fast. The Masterbuilt ones are trash and corrode away super super fast, like months in some cases.

An Auber PID runs $160 USD before shipping which is much cheaper than a whole new MES unit or any comparable unit.

I cannot express how this turns your current MES or even a busted MES into a completely different animal. The performance with a rewire and a PID controller is an apples and oranges comparison.
I often say its like turning a Golf Cart into a Ferrari. All us PID guys wonder why we waited so long to do so and you hear nothing but amazement about how well the smoker works after doing so.

I hope this info helps :)

I've been looking around for a Gen1 MES40 that's dead to do exactly what you described above to make a dedicated smoker for sausage, snack sticks, summer sausage, etc.

I've been looking around for a Gen1 MES40 that's dead to do exactly what you described above to make a dedicated smoker for sausage, snack sticks, summer sausage, etc.
In my opinion, the best electric smoker you can find is one the way u are going about it.

My brother and mother are both rocking an MES40 gotten for $40-50 online and rewired + PID lol.

Reactions: denny
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky