Isolationist Chili & CI Grilled Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I haven't put veggies in cornbread before. I need to give that a try.

One thing I neglected to mention Steve, jalapeno cornbread is huge in this part of the country. Heck, even burger joints are (used to be) serving breakfast biscuits with jalapenos in them. The addition of the cheddar is also very popular. It adds a lot of texture to the cornbread...as well as a lot of flavor.

Robert

One thing I neglected to mention Steve, jalapeno cornbread is huge in this part of the country. Heck, even burger joints are (used to be) serving breakfast biscuits with jalapenos in them. The addition of the cheddar is also very popular. It adds a lot of texture to the cornbread...as well as a lot of flavor.

Robert

I didn't realize they were that popular. I've had cheddar biscuits before. Which I like. I'm sure the cornbread will be really good.

I'm thinking about trying this recipe:

• 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 6 Tbsp butter, melted (slightly cooled)
  • 3-4 Tbsp honey
  • 1-2 fresh jalapeños, seeds/ribs removed, minced
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1 Tbsp bacon grease (or vegetable/canola oil works too)
  • additional jalapeño slices for top garnish
  • additional cheddar cheese, for top garnish
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat oven to 375 F degrees and position oven rack to the lower-middle position.
  • To a mixing bowl, add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt, and whisk to combine well.

• To another large mixing bowl, add milk, eggs, melted butter and honey. Whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients mixture and use a wooden spoon to combine. Stir in jalapeños and cheddar cheese. Stir until no flour streaks remain, but don't OVER mix. Set aside.
  • Heat a cast iron pan over HIGH heat for a minute. Add bacon grease and let it heat up and melt over the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat and pour in the cornbread batter. Use wooden spoon to spread batter in evenly. If using, top with jalapeño slices, and/or additional cheddar cheese.
  • Bake 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.

Alrighty Dan, got my dinner started so here ya go.

Mix dry ingredients together
1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 dash (about 1/2 tsp) chile powder (recommend chipotle)
sift this all together into your mixing bowl and set aside.

Mix wet ingredients together

2 eggs beaten
1 cup buttermilk (can also use plain milk or creme but I like buttermilk the best)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey

3) Once oven is preheated to 400 degrees, then add the wet ingredients to the dry in the mixing bowl. You don't want to do this before the oven is ready. The baking powder starts to react right away so you want to get it in the preheated oven. Don't let it sit around. Mix with a fork. Don't overdo it. Then put it in the oven. If you're adding jalapeno or other ingredients, do so last once everything is mixed and give a final few stirs with the fork. My way of adding jalapeno is to chop one whole jalapeno with seeds and stem removed. If you like spicier use 2 jalapenos. *important - if using all buttermilk in step 2 then add just a splash of regular milk here to thin the batter just slightly.

4) Pour mix into greased pan of choice. Grease with butter, non stick spray, whatever you like.
Bake for 25 minutes and check it with a toothpick in the middle. When the toothpick comes out without any clumps of batter on it, pull it out. The trick is getting it baked right to that point to have a moist and done cornbread.

Let cool for a few minutes and then brush a glaze of honey on top if you like. Some things to try/experiment with on this recipe are the additives such as corn, jalapeno, bacon, etc. Also the types of milk, buttermilk, heavy creme, half n half, regular milk. You can experiment with the ratio of honey to sugar. I've done all honey, all sugar. I like the half and half but see what you like.

* extra tip -- if you have leftover cornbread, a tasty snack is to slice it into pieces about 1" thick, spread butter on each side and grill in a cast iron pan. Grill until golden brown on each side. These corn bread bites are so evil. Your leftover cornbread will be gone in a flash!

This is a virtual copy and paste from the recipe I found here. I edited it just a bot to shorten it so I could get all the print on one page. Please note also that I followed Chile's advice and heated the skillets prior to putting the batter in. That is not part of the recipe. I also used 1 very large jalapeno finely chopped and about a half cup of cheddar cheese.

Robert
That looks lush!
I'm gonna have to give that cornbread a go.
Not something that's all that common here in the UK

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky