Isn't yellow perch the tastiest freshwater fish?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Great lakes yellow perch in supermarkets in my area. My favorite freshwater fish is walleye, but i think yellow perch beats it, now that i had some again after while.

Simply fried in the pan. These are small fish...about 9-10 in a lb (fillet)
20220506_201101-1.jpg

Last edited:
Perch is definitely good! We really like walleye as well. We don't have any really decent fishing close, plus I'm not that great of a fisherman. But have found that trading sweet corn to father in law and best friend who are both avid fishermen works really well for us!

Ryan

Aren't perch a cousin to walleye? I like both of them and wish I could buy perch at the market.

Walleye is available but it's $17/lb. On the lighter side, one of my buddies still claims it's cheaper than catching it locally if you factor in all the expenses to spend a day at the lake with the boat.

Catching perch through the ice are the best. Or early spring right after ice out. I'll try to get as much as possible in the freezer. Walleye are also great.
I've caught jack perch in deeper water and it is also very good.

Can you share your source?
I don't know where Brian gets them. But A buddy of mine that can know longer get out fishing goes through "Walleye direct" Do a search for them. I've had them a couple of times when he bought them. But grab onto your wallet! I believe they are seasonal though. Look them up.

Aren't perch a cousin to walleye? I like both of them and wish I could buy perch at the market.

Walleye is available but it's $17/lb. On the lighter side, one of my buddies still claims it's cheaper than catching it locally if you factor in all the expenses to spend a day at the lake with the boat.
Dang, our store just had them for $12 lb. Didn't buy any but looks cheap now

Ryan

Memories..back in the 50's/60's (boy, am I old), we lived in Chicago and dad would take me down to Navy Pier to fish with our bamboo poles for Yellow Perch. We would usually come home with a bucket full, and have a great fish fry that night. Now living in Florida, I watch friends from up north send me pictures of the Walleye fish frys that they have. Bastards won't send me any.

I don't know where Brian gets them. But A buddy of mine that can know longer get out fishing goes through "Walleye direct" Do a search for them. I've had them a couple of times when he bought them. But grab onto your wallet! I believe they are seasonal though. Look them up.
Yeah gotta watch for a special but still high. Worth the memories it brings back with my Dad and Grandpa though. Always get Smelt and others also. Guess I need to take a bag out.

20220508_153945.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
Reactions: Brokenhandle
On the lighter side, one of my buddies still claims it's cheaper than catching it locally if you factor in all the expenses to spend a day at the lake with the boat.
Yes but, what's the fun of going to the market and just buying it, no challenge there? And, you can't spend the day with friends drinking the brew of choice. :emoji_sunglasses:

Nice! I talked about this on Bears post, but I grew up eating a lot of fresh water fish in summer. Perch was always my favorite.

Last edited:
Markets around here will buy your Yellow Perch
Same here, especially during the winter.

Man, I haven't had deep fried smelt in years! That brings back memories.
I have my smelt net in the garage somewhere.
I used to see alot of folks bringing in huge bags of smelt off Lake Champlain. I haven't seen it much recently. It's a good fish to smoke.

Brook trout cleaned, lined with butter, wrapped in foil and tossed in the campfire is still my favorite way to eat fish. Ummm good childhood memories.

Chris

Reactions: YooperSmoker
I remember back when I was young you had to shuffle your feet while netting them, so you didn't crush any. They were that thick going upstream. The last time I went smelting. I caught more mud puppies then smelt. It has gotten so bad. Now there is a 25 fish day limit. Trout and salmon are ruining the population. It will never recover. NY. Among other great lake areas. Are more interested in tourism for the trout and salmon fishing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky