1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Is this too much smoker???

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by kunkel3269, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:33 AM.

1. kunkel3269

kunkel3269 Newbie

Sorry, the pictures are not great at all. The stack ends where you see it.

2. kunkel3269

kunkel3269 Newbie

He said he was trying to go with more of a franklin style pit by just using the door as a damper with no grate inside the firebox.

3. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

If you want it and can afford it and she who must be obeyed is good with it, buy it!! Having too much smoker is like having too much awesome.....no such thing!!

4. kunkel3269

kunkel3269 Newbie

Haha the boss is actually pushing me toward this one I’ve the others! Which make the decision harder in a way haha

5. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'd say that makes it a done deal . I change my vote ,,, go get it .

6. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If the FB/CC opening goes all the way to the top of the FB, just lower the exhaust stack, on the inside only, down to about 2" below the lower food grate... Then you will have a "Jambo" design.... Franklin air control sucks... Go with the upper and lower air intakes for the Fire Box... Much better control... Reduced fuel usage...
    Jambo Design.jpg

7. kunkel3269

kunkel3269 Newbie

6B18AA02-3D1C-4382-B75F-F05E9F6DE77A.png Thanks daveomak! I was thinking about cutting the round end of the cook chamber and adding a stack on it similar to this one.

8. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I would think with a 1/2" firebox it would hold heat pretty well.
    Probably 6-8 splits to fire it up and then 1-2 splits every 45 minutes I would imagine.
    Chicken and sides take up a lot of room and having room to spread out is nice.
    Myself when I fire up I like to cook extra for the week. "I have a Lang 84"
    Lang 48 is also a fine smoker.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

9. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

I have something similar and it’s more than I need most of the time but when you have it you can do lots of things.
    You’ll need a good bit of wood but I now use my weed burner to get up the steel in about 5 min and get my logs fully burning in less than another 5 min.
    I designed mine with some help from Dave and from looking at the aaron franklin book. Franklins design uses a lot of air flow but I get TBS every time! I’m sure Dave and others can get almost exact temp control but I’m ok with shooting for a good range.
    That is a great price. I would do it. I would look into moving the stack down to grate level and building it just like you showed in your picture.

10. kunkel3269

kunkel3269 Newbie

Thanks hard cooking and jbellard. I have made my decision and will be picking it up tomorrow. Figured with the money I save on this pit I can buy plenty of extra wood and mod it the way I need someday. I appreciate the help!

chopsaw likes this.
  11. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

Cool deal. I know once you get mods done you’ll love how it works.

12. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Well let the fun begin...congratulations!!
    I wouldn't be to worried about wood. With a 36" smoker your throwing 1-2 10" splits in every 45 mins.
    Verses 1-2 16" splits every 45 minutes.
    I think you will like that 1/2" firebox.

13. especially if you have access to smoke wood at a good price! You can parlay it to planting some pecan trees!!! =)

14. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

KUNKEL, where are you located?
    For the last two years I have basically gone around to different folks and asked if I could have their limbs that fell. Worked well.

15. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Find an orchard... They prune in the winter and may have free or cheap prunings...

Orchards in Alabama

16. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Orchards use pesticides so its going to be in the wood. But the up side is for those of us using pellets for smoking and/or heat sources for grill/smokers they most likely came from orchard wood as well.

17. kunkel3269

kunkel3269 Newbie

I live in west Texas. About the best deal I could find was 350 a cord for pecan or oak in Lubbock.

18. motolife313

motolife313 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I sell my wood for more then that a cord. It’s valuable stuff in my mind after putting the work in. This is 30$ right here. It’s real nice white oak. My other woods go for 25$ and 20$. Cost him 55$ with my delivery fee and I only deliver. I always hook guys up with couple others nice rounds or splits to play with such as apple and plum, if u don’t wanna pay for wood get a good chainsaw and be in the look out lol C7D064C3-0764-4CF3-AAA5-C435D87C1EF2.jpeg

19. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

For $350 a cord around here that will get it delivered and stacked for mixed hardwoods mostly red/white oak.

I'd quit my day job If I could spend all day delivering wheelbarrow loads of wood for $50 as shot.

fivetricks likes this.