Is this too much smoker???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kunkel3269

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
So I’m in the market to buy a new smoker. Trying to make my mind on a Yoder kingman or lang 48. Been smoking on an old country wrangler for a little over 5 years. I ran across this the other day. A guy builds them as a hobby and the price was kinda unbelievable. Fire box is 1/2” thick as well. Asking price is $1500.00. Would it be worth the hassle of moving this thing and extra fuel to cook with?

Attachments

• 4448BEBA-2ABA-4176-9521-B0B229631F11.jpeg
    4448BEBA-2ABA-4176-9521-B0B229631F11.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 221
That does seem like a good deal. About a third or more of that is steel price. Looks used tho? I’d say you could feed 80 people pretty easy with that

So I’m in the market to buy a new smoker. Trying to make my mind on a Yoder kingman or lang 48. Been smoking on an old country wrangler for a little over 5 years. I ran across this the other day. A guy builds them as a hobby and the price was kinda unbelievable. Fire box is 1/2” thick as well. Asking price is $1500.00. Would it be worth the hassle of moving this thing and extra fuel to cook with?

Attachments

• 87BD40BF-4228-4632-887B-04462F6FCD4C.jpeg
    87BD40BF-4228-4632-887B-04462F6FCD4C.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 204
A lang 48 patio is more than that. I guess the question should be do you have enough room and food to cook on that pit? Is it reverse flow like the lang?

Do you think it would be overkill cooking just for my family 90% of the time? And how much wood would a pit like this take to run?

It is not a reverse flow. And it is not used from what he said. Just burned it out and lit a fire one time in the fire box.

A lang 48 patio is more than that. I guess the question should be do you have enough room and food to cook on that pit? Is it reverse flow like the lang?
I have plenty of room in the backyard. Most of the time I would be cooking for about 6 people. But as I’ve read in the forums people say to buy as much pit as they can afford haha. This is almost halfway the price of the 2 I mentioned with shipping included.

I have plenty of room in the backyard. Most of the time I would be cooking for about 6 people. But as I’ve read in the forums people say to buy as much pit as they can afford haha. This is almost halfway the price of the 2 I mentioned with shipping included.

I think that comment is intended to step up one size not necessarily double the size. lol

I would buy it if I could afford the wood to feed it,its a rare thing to have too much grill or smoker and if I could make due with my smaller pit the only thing would be cost of wood imo. I'd probably still buy it even if only use it 6-12 times a year,mans got to spend his $ on something besides Lots & Houses lol

If I could see the inside of the FB, to check the FB/CC opening, I could tell you what modifications "may" be necessary....
For now, the exhaust stack "may" need to be lowered into the CC... unless there is an extension I can't see...
It will need FB air inlets... upper and lower... The doors look like they seal very will, no air leaks...
I'd drive up to his place with a trailer in tow and offer $1100 cash.... and drive home with it...

If I could see the inside of the FB, to check the FB/CC opening, I could tell you what modifications "may" be necessary....
For now, the exhaust stack "may" need to be lowered into the CC... unless there is an extension I can't see...
It will need FB air inlets... upper and lower... The doors look like they seal very will, no air leaks...
I'd drive up to his place with a trailer in tow and offer $1100 cash.... and drive home with it...

Attachments

• 7973B055-FBF6-49D6-BD6B-5166FCCE64F0.jpeg
    7973B055-FBF6-49D6-BD6B-5166FCCE64F0.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 6582F9DE-6DD9-4FBF-9E58-D979EEEF7D77.jpeg
    6582F9DE-6DD9-4FBF-9E58-D979EEEF7D77.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 164

Attachments

• C606F2E5-BB97-44CF-8B44-E81CBE8C8A67.jpeg
    C606F2E5-BB97-44CF-8B44-E81CBE8C8A67.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 099CD7C8-2E76-4849-98BB-821B89FCC4EA.jpeg
    099CD7C8-2E76-4849-98BB-821B89FCC4EA.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 165
Sorry, the pictures are not great at all. The stack ends where you see it.

He said he was trying to go with more of a franklin style pit by just using the door as a damper with no grate inside the firebox.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky