Is this still good.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
I can’t believe I lost this guy in the fridge. “freshness” date was November 25th. I get skeptical with meat. Was planning on throwing it in the crockpot. I’m ashamed

Attachments

• 8D3632A7-80FB-4D2E-AD9C-EF72537222D5.jpeg
    8D3632A7-80FB-4D2E-AD9C-EF72537222D5.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 32
8 days past ? Lol . I have stuff from 2 years ago .
What is it ? If vac sealed or in the original sealed package it should be fine .

Good question though .

8 days past ? Lol . I have stuff from 2 years ago .
What is it ? If vac sealed or in the original sealed package it should be fine .

Good question though .

Pic added. Just in the store bought wrap

I thought it was in the freezer . My bad for not reading .
It would depend on fridge temp .
It looks good and I agree on the smell test , but for 9 bucks ? If I had other options I'd go that route . There is some room there , but You'll cook it and worry the whole time .

I keep the meat fridge below 40°, and it isn't opened much, but even then, I might go a day or three beyond the sell by date, but ain't pushing it farther than that.

Personally I don't think I use it. It may make a good treat for the pups if you have any. Meats usually good for 3 maybe 4 days past the freshness date, but like others said give it the sniff and feel test. If anything feels off toss it.

Chris

I would give it the smell test and go from there maybe some looking too

I been doing the "smell test" for as long as I can remember, and never have gotten food poisoning, but one does need to be aware that some of the nastiest pathogens have no smell.

Reactions: schlotz
Beef (solid muscle) lasts a good while past the sell-by date (unlike pork)...you've probably already tossed it, but like others have suggested, I'd have done the smell test.

Sell date is a turnover date for managers and workers to rotate stock. Nobody can determine a day when meat is going to "spoil".
If it smells bad, that's your body telling you not to eat it. If it smells and looks good... cook on.

Reactions: sawhorseray
If it smells bad, that's your body telling you not to eat it. If it smells and looks good... cook on.
You can't see, taste, or smell botulism toxin, just saying. That said, I push the limits and have been fine so far .......

Sell date is a turnover date for managers and workers to rotate stock. Nobody can determine a day when meat is going to "spoil".
It was already reduced over 50% when it was purchased. Tack on another 8 days is pushing it for a 9.00 hunk of meat.

Chris

I've done the same thing plenty of times. Bummer when you go to make dinner and the chicken is older than Christmas past.. back to the store..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky