Is this safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My personal experience, fresh is always better than frozen. Think about it, freezing is going to cause some damage to the meat at a cellular level. The cells that make up the piece of meat are mostly water, and when frozen, the water will expand, rupturing cell walls and such. I'm not saying that it's hugely noticeable, but it is noticeable. Freezing again after thawing is probably going to reduce the quality some more, but again, with the final cooked product, we won't realistically find a huge difference on what we have on our plate.

Reactions: TNJAKE
My personal experience, fresh is always better than frozen. Think about it, freezing is going to cause some damage to the meat at a cellular level. The cells that make up the piece of meat are mostly water, and when frozen, the water will expand, rupturing cell walls and such. I'm not saying that it's hugely noticeable, but it is noticeable. Freezing again after thawing is probably going to reduce the quality some more, but again, with the final cooked product, we won't realistically find a huge difference on what we have on our plate.
I agree

Reactions: DougE
Late to the party and you did what I would have done , pitched it. I don’t know if you have ever had good positions but I have, it sucked!! LOL

Personally I'd smell it, and if it passed the smell test, I'd cook it up and eat it, but I won't recommend anyone follow my lead.
Personally I would eat it, but that's me. Your nose will tell you

Taste and smell are not reliable indicators of food safety in all situations. Some dangerous bacteria that cause food-borne illness (Clostridium botulinum for example) do not have off-flavors associated with them..... and they also produce a tasteless but deadly toxin. The toxin produced by staphylococcus is also tasteless and can cause short-term—but unpleasant—symptoms.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Taste and smell are not reliable indicators of food safety in all situations. Some dangerous bacteria that cause food-borne illness (Clostridium botulinum for example) do not have off-flavors associated with them..... and they also produce a tasteless but deadly toxin. The toxin produced by staphylococcus is also tasteless and can cause short-term—but unpleasant—symptoms.
I agree, but I was just stating what I, and generations before me have done. That's why I said I would not recommend anyone follow my lead.

Reactions: thirdeye and TNJAKE
Are you saying that once a piece of meat has been thawed, that it can't be refrozen?

According to a thread by chef jimmyj chef jimmyj a while back, if meat is thawed correctly as noted by TNJAKE TNJAKE it can be refrozen once without fear of safety issues or losing the integrity of the meat. Think about it....we defrost meat, cut it up for sausage, partially refreeze it for grinding, make the sausage, and put it right back in the freezer (if doing fresh sausage) without any negative consequences. At least that's my take on things :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky