Is this cherry?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ndelo

Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Lawrenceville, NJ
I was looking to replenish my smoking wood via craiglist and came across someone selling maple. Ordered a cord, and what was delivered looks like cherry to me (not going to complain if it is, its what I was actually hoping to find).

Opinions? Maple? Cherry?

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 78
1 split that the bark hasn't rotted off looks like maple, hard to see it close up. we have wild cherry here in Tn that the fruits not eatable and I wouldn't ever use the wood from it to smoke with as it has a lot of sticky sap in it, not sure what real cherry wood splits look like grain wise.

I'm in east tn and use wild cherry all the time for a mild smoke flavor. Split, season, use.

I am thinking he gave you exactly what you paid for. You will know for sure the first time you use it on some poultry. We use wild cherry up here a lot. The palatability of wild fruit has nothing to do with the quality of smoke its properly cured wood produces.

Thanks for the replies. I've used red oak, apple and cherry in the past (I use whatever I find on CL at the moment I need to replenish). So this season, Maple it is!

It does look like cherry but it would be easier to tell from a close up of an intact piece with bark on it

I burned some of it yesterday in a firepit with family. Didn't smell like the cherry I have used in the past. Unfortunately, no bark. I'm not familiar with the smell of maple, but I'm going to assume that's what it is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky