Is there a Mayberry anymore?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not Mayberry, but I'm not complaining. Live in a farming area, east of Lake Ontario, North of Syracuse, South of Watertown NY.

Grew up here and returned after retiring from the U.S. Army and large metropolitan police department.

Live outside of a village.

I graduated with the village justice.

The majority of my friends from school still live here.

We graduated from a K through 12 school with about 400 kids in the entire school.

Just a 4 way stop, school, volunteer fire department and little store with 2 gas pumps.

No police department.

We look out for our neighbors.

Call each other if we see a suspicious vehicle, person...

Not Mayberry but good enough for me.

Not Mayberry, but I'm not complaining. Live in a farming area, east of Lake Ontario, North of Syracuse, South of Watertown NY.

Grew up here and returned after retiring from the U.S. Army and large metropolitan police department.

Live outside of a village.

I graduated with the village justice.

The majority of my friends from school still live here.

We graduated from a K through 12 school with about 400 kids in the entire school.

Just a 4 way stop, school, volunteer fire department and little store with 2 gas pumps.

No police department.

We look out for our neighbors.

Call each other if we see a suspicious vehicle, person...

Not Mayberry but good enough for me.
Dang Bill! They need nurses up that way? Sounds like heaven to me.

Jim

Reactions: bill ace 350
Is there any place that still has a small town feel to it?
My thought is no. At least not within a reasonable driving distance of all the things we feel we need to be close to such as drug store, hospital, Walmart or grocery store, bank, gas station, etc. It's easy to say "I could live a long ways from those things" until you do and then the 1 hour drive to emergency care or to buy groceries or gas gets old for those who aren't used to that. Live any closer and then the encroachment starts. It comes from those looking for the same things and they bring all the problems that we're trying to escape.

I just read an article about the squatters that have arrived in Casper WY. Casper is rural, heck all of WY is rural. Yet these people are pooping in the streets and destroying hotels. No place is safe if not in Wyoming. Getting spooky.

Reactions: JLeonard
Heard rock salt is a pretty good additive to shotgun shells!

Ryan
That jogged a memory! I went to school with a guy whose family was from KY. He told me about one of his uncle having his chickens stolen. He talked to the sheriff and was told to load up rocksalt and use that. Turns out, he hears someone in the coop, goes out and yells and someone starts running away. He gives em both barrels and calls the sheriff. The sheriff calls back a few hours later and tells him to meet him at the hospital........where they were removing the "shot" from my buddies other uncle....the chicken owners brother!......

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Breaking into cars in a hospital parking lot is despicable.
What really gets me going is when dopers watch the obituaries in the paper then rob the houses of the deceased! Had that happen to my grandma. My cousin and I probably would of gone to jail had we found out who it was!

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky