Is there a Mayberry anymore?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not Mayberry here but not bad and big city hospital only about 45 minutes away. Come on down they aways need nurses at those 2 hospitals. Still some decent towns when you get to very rural areas but then have to worry about work.

I am pretty rural here, not much of that going on. Sometimes you will hear about it but not often

Reactions: JLeonard
Even less than Mayberry has to offer .......... no post office, no restaurant, no local police or fire dept. Nothing out here but one old country store and a couple churches, but we like it that way. I can be in town in 15 min or so.

I moved from San Francisco 20 years ago to a small town of 2000 people in the Midwest. This town is 20-30 minutes from larger cities. It is considered rural. Six years ago I moved out of that town and currently live in the middle of nowhere (10 miles to the closest little town. Those little towns are 45 minutes to an hour from a city that has any significant population.

I will never leave. Including my house, there are only three house on my gravel road.

I also carry a gun everyday. No exceptions (work and off duty).

JLeonard JLeonard I am currently in rural MO visiting in-laws. This town Doniphan, reminds me of Mayberry. Small town everyone seems to know everyone and a lot of family land out here. I feel like a total outsider who once they talk to me seem to not totally distrust me but they keep an eye on you. Mayberry does still exist but it's just moving. I thought I would hate this area being a suburbanite slob lol. It's really nice though.

NW MN is home for me and mostly farmland.
Wife gets irritated with the people we causally know that know where we live.

I also carry a gun everyday. No exceptions (work and off duty).
Many farmers have weapons in their pickup. I don't nor do I carry.
I'm not on the hunt for skunks or coyotes which is the primary target.

Many years ago when I lived in Seattle a good friend always had a pistol in his ride. Saved his life more than once.

That's why I live in Algona Iowa not paradise but... People still smile at each other in the grocery store etc. Population 5300, county seat, good jobs including a Snap-On and Hormel manufacturing plant plus many other good jobs. Hospital, good doctors, great schools. I would never live in a city. Just as a perspective Minneapolis/St Paul metro area is 3 hrs away population 3.6 million, Population of the whole state of Iowa 3.2 million. I'll take rural Iowa

That's why I live in Algona Iowa not paradise but... People still smile at each other in the grocery store etc. Population 5300, county seat, good jobs including a Snap-On and Hormel manufacturing plant plus many other good jobs. Hospital, good doctors, great schools. I would never live in a city. Just as a perspective Minneapolis/St Paul metro area is 3 hrs away population 3.6 million, Population of the whole state of Iowa 3.2 million. I'll take rural Iowa
I live about 3.5 hours east of you. I drive through Algona when I have to be in Spencer. I'll take rural Iowa all day. The county I live in has less than 20,000 total population.

IMG_6795 (1).jpeg

I live in a town with a population of roughly 5k. No police, high school, and a volunteer fire dept.. We still hold an in-person yearly town meeting. The biggest complaint amongst folks around here is speeding, or cows in the road. I'm about 30 mins. from our states largest $hit hole city which isn't really to bad a city. It's just changed a lot from when I was a kid growing up there.

One other oddity about our town. Depending on where in town you live your mailing address and land line phone number could be from 3 different neighboring towns. At one time we had a real post office, that doubled as the gun shop.

Chris

I live about 3.5 hours east of you. I drive through Algona when I have to be in Spencer. I'll take rural Iowa all day. The county I live in has less than 20,000 total population.
What town are you from 3.5 hours east Decorah marbe?

Love to live in small town, but at my age, need a hospital near.
Ya never know when you will need it.
Yeah, I thought about possibly retiring in our house in PA (second house) in a nice community. I had an anaphylactic reaction (shellfish) in the restaurant there last November. 40 minutes for the ambulance to show up and another 50 minutes to the nearest hospital stopping in the middle of the ride to pick up the only medic in the county. If it was a heart attack I would be dead.

I live in the bush 20 minutes from a town of 5K residents. We just go there when we have to. We never much liked the town but it was a pretty safe place day or night and people were friendly. But now the homeless have moved in and the damn meth heads are everywhere. For the first 13 years we never locked the house doors, but now there's so much theft and crime in the County that we have no choice in the matter. All the doors are locked at bedtime, and both Miss Linda and I have our shotguns loaded with buckshot and close by the bed. Depressing.
Gary

I live in the bush 20 minutes from a town of 5K residents. We just go there when we have to. We never much liked the town but it was a pretty safe place day or night and people were friendly. But now the homeless have moved in and the damn meth heads are everywhere. For the first 13 years we never locked the house doors, but now there's so much theft and crime in the County that we have no choice in the matter. All the doors are locked at bedtime, and both Miss Linda and I have our shotguns loaded with buckshot and close by the bed. Depressing.
Gary
Heard rock salt is a pretty good additive to shotgun shells!

Ryan

I don't lock my daily driver and leave a key in ignition while in my driveway.
Farm rules that any vehicle in the yard must unlocked have keys to move in case and I see no reason to change back in town.

I live on the better side of town, 3 blocks away from the ambulance garage, and 5 blocks from area hospital.
Years ago my former neighbor had a medical emergency. I happened to be in my garage when it came to my attention to help her. After I called 911 and got my way through the dispatcher, it still took around 10 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. I wasn't impressed by the crew and in MN at least one is a paramedic.

If firearms are involved, your better option is to END the conflict and make sure they bleed out on your property.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky