1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Is the smoke setting ok for a large brisket for about 10 hours

Discussion in 'Pellet Smokers' started by 357mag, Apr 15, 2019.

1. I plan on doing a 17.5 lb brisket on my pit boss and I wanted to put it in around 10pm the night before at the smoke setting which for me is around 200* and leave it there for about 10 hours or until it hits the stall and then wrap in butcher paper up the temp to 225* until probe tender. I hope to eat around 6pm. Does that sound like a good plan?

2. forktender

forktender Smoking Fanatic

Personally, I wouldn't do a bristet at anything less than 275*, 325-350* even better.
    I think you're gonna make jerky at 200* and it's gonna take 8 hours+ to distroy that chunk of meat.

3. mike243

mike243 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Yes it will be ok,done 1 on smoke til it hit the stall then moved up to 250, I;m not sure it added any thing but time, next time I will run smoke for 3 hrs then set at 250-300 depending on time remaining till I need it done, a Amazen tube works well to add additional smoke if that's what your going for

4. bregent

bregent Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

200F will be fine. Briskets that size take about 12 hours for me on my pellet grill. I sometimes start at 180 for 6 hours, and then finish at 225 for the remainder. But most often I just do the entire cook at 225-250. You don't want to go over 300 as you'll get no smoke flavor. I don't wrap because I want to make sure I get enough smoke and bark. Not sure what forktender is talking about - you're not going to ruin it.

5. Bru

Bru Newbie

You will be totally fine. I frequently put briskets on my traeger at 180 overnight and then wrap and crank the temp in the morning.

6. Bru

Bru Newbie

Recent brisket I did this way.

Attached Files:

7. miatawnt2b

miatawnt2b Fire Starter

I don't think it sounds like a bad idea. You may want to cover your pit with a moving blanket or two and I bet your temp would come up another 25* or so.
    --J

8. I don't ever wrap briskets. I just let it roll. Good smoke ring, tender, nice smoke flavor and juicy. Just my way. Definitely many different ways to do a brisket.

9. forktender

Talking about, unless he's cooking a Wag brisket cooking it on a pellet cooker is gonna dry it out.
    Sure you can get smoke flavor at hi temps, well as good as a pellet cooker is gonna get anyhow, by using a smake tube or better yet two smoke tubes.
    Your millage my very.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 at 6:02 PM
  10. dubob

dubob Smoke Blower

Cooking brisket is NOT exact science. It's more of an art and there are millions of artists doing it by thousands of different methods. The smoke profile is different for each type of equipment and developing your artistic flare will be based partly on your equipment. It's a learning process and you will get there eventually. Just go for it. Look forward to your results and also what you learned getting there. :emoji_sunglasses:

11. cajuncpo

cajuncpo Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

I smoke Brisket at 225*- 230* on my Louisiana Grills LG1100. Takes 12 or so hours to cook. No complaints yet.

12. forktender

Let me guess lots of sugar in your rub and curing salt or tender quick for the smoke ring?
    Not that it's a bad thing, I'm just curious how you got such a dark crust and a pronounced smoke ring on a pellet stove?
    That looks like it was cooked in a TX smoker.:emoji_sunglasses: