Is the amount of prague powder in this recipe safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buffaloborn

Original poster
Jun 22, 2021
Wondering if this is a safe amount of prague powder? Also, what if I changed the recipe and I cut the salt down to 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup, and 3/4 cup maple syrup instead of 1 cup, but leave all the other amounts the same?

Thank you in advance for all your help. I am desperate to make pea meal bacon at home, but so paranoid about doing something unsafe.

Your cutting Salt and Syrup is fine. That amount of Cure #1 is Low. Use 1 Tablespoon but add it After the Brine Cools. 4 to 5 Days may not cure to the center if your Loin is thick. Measure the thickness at the thickest point an soak 1 Day for each 1/2" of thickness. If 4" thick, soak 8 days minimum. Some guys go an extra day for insurance...JJ

What's the reason behind adding the cure after the brine has cooled to room temp?

Reminder, kosher salt is about double the volume of pickling salt. 3/4 cup of kosher is closer to the salt level I prefer
I don't use the volume measure of pink salt as mine is very fluffy, similar to brown sugar, and needs a light tamping.
A heaping tablespoon is the Pops universal pickle used by many here.

Hot brine kills off the nitrites. Cure is a cold process.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
What's the reason behind adding the cure after the brine has cooled to room temp?

Its a bit of a controversial subject. Testing and reports by trusted authorities, show the Nitrite in Cured meat Reduces when Heated/Cooked. Raw Bacon has a greater amount of Nitrite than Cooked Bacon.
Other Tests, performed by a member here, with professional chemical analysis on boiling Cure showed little reduction. After much debate and citing multiple conflicting articles and studies representing testing on both sides, the consensus was, There is No Benefit to Boiling Cure#1 and depending on Brine ingredients boiling may reduce the concentration. It is Safest to not risk it and add the small amounts of Cure #1 we use to Cool Brine....JJ

Its a bit of a controversial subject. Testing and reports by trusted authorities, show the Nitrite in Cured meat Reduces when Heated/Cooked. Raw Bacon has a greater amount of Nitrite than Cooked Bacon.
Other Tests, performed by a member here, with professional chemical analysis on boiling Cure showed little reduction. After much debate and citing multiple conflicting articles and studies representing testing on both sides, the consensus was, There is No Benefit to Boiling Cure#1 and depending on Brine ingredients boiling may reduce the concentration. It is Safest to not risk it and add the small amounts of Cure #1 we use to Cool Brine....JJ

I may be wrong, but, from what I remember the test was done without salt and sugar added to the liquid being tested or any other ingredients folks may add....
It was a meaningless test.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky