Is it REALLY necessary??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
In the planning stage of my next build. When I built my existing RF I used the calculator on here. I ended up with 100+% of the suggested air intake on the bottom vents. I installed an upper one anyway. I have only cooked on it 25 times or so but have yet to open the upper air intake.
In reading some posts on another forum from Shirley Fabrication I have decided to look for a thick hunk of steel for the FB door.
I was in the scrap yard today and stumbled upon a hunk of 1" steel that would work for my FB door. Debating on that whole split air intake thing...

Have to say that I have used my upper air intake in several configurations and have not seen much benefit. It is useful to open it up to temporarily reduce CC temps if things are getting too hot, but other than that I have not seen a benefit. Perhaps that is due to my FB and CC being fully insulated; who knows. As far as a really heavy FB door, I don't see the need for that. 1" thick seems like way overkill. What is the theory behind a thick FB door? I would think the FB door needs to be no thicker than the other walls of the FB.

Have to say that I have used my upper air intake in several configurations and have not seen much benefit. It is useful to open it up to temporarily reduce CC temps if things are getting too hot, but other than that I have not seen a benefit. Perhaps that is due to my FB and CC being fully insulated; who knows. As far as a really heavy FB door, I don't see the need for that. 1" thick seems like way overkill. What is the theory behind a thick FB door? I would think the FB door needs to be no thicker than the other walls of the FB.
Never asked about the theory. In talking with Paul about insulating a firebox a while back he made mention of not insulating the floor and a heavy door. He told me that insulating the door is not necessary. Guessing the thicker the door less likely it is to warp. Sure, a backstrap solves the warping but...

I agree with not insulating the bottom of the FB, but insulating the door gives the same benefit as insulating any other side of the FB.

That said, if you are not insulating the door, the thicker metal will lose less heat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky