Is it big enough?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aslack99

Original poster
Jul 10, 2020
Backstory: I have a Pitboss pellet that I really like, but want to try my hand at a Stickburner with a free tank I have.

So, I have a 30 gal air tank that I thought about making into a smoker, I'm just not sure if it will be a waste of time. I really only cook for the wife and me, but would like to fit 3 maybe four racks of ribs etc. on this.

Thinking going reverse flow. Do you all think it is large enough to mess with building a smoker out of?

Dimensions are:
Inside Diameter - 15.5"
30" between end welds
38" overall

Attachments

• Air tank.jpeg
    Air tank.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 24
Years ago I took 2 -30 gal rectangle tanks and stacked them together, cut a door in the bottom on 1 end and a 4" hole into both at the other end, put a 4" smoke stack back on top above the fire door, didn't know anything about reverse flow back in those days as I wasn't on the net, it made some great Q. if you could find a similar size tank it would work well imo . the tanks was probably 36" long and worked great, used it for a lot of years and rust finally caught up with it .

Unless you are a proficient welder, I suggest passing on the thin wall 30 gallon tank. Just not worth the effort for such small capacity.

I'm a good enough welder, but you all pretty much confirmed what I was thinking about the size.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky