Ipalco?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon!
Last year a neighbor brought me a couple of tomatoes that someone in her church (Greek Orthodox) gave her a few of. They told her it was a European/Mediterranean variety.
Shaped like a Roma but bigger and a little darker. Meaty with not a lot of seeds.
I liked them and saved a few seeds. I almost forgot about them, but stuck them in a couple of paper cups and whaddaya know they sprouted!
I pressed her to find out what they were and she was told they were called Ipalco's.
Anyone ever heard of these? I tried searching but just got run around in circles.
I was a little late getting them in the ground but I'm not too worried.
plants 2.jpg plants.jpg

I think maybe you are mispronouncing them. Try looking up "Opalka" perhaps that is what they are. they are a Polish Variety

I think maybe you are mispronouncing them. Try looking up "Opalka" perhaps that is what they are. they are a Polish Variety
Thank you. I'll check it out. She actually spelled it out to me, but Deanie is 84. Still pretty sharp but misses a beat now and then....

I gree i think these are Opalco's

here is the description

Opalka Tomato
Without a doubt, this is one of the best tasting sauce tomatoes you'll find. Flavor is much richer and sweeter than other paste tomatoes, so delicious you can eat them right off the vine. Sauces using the nearly seedless fruits are something special. The bright red elongated 3 to 5 inch fruits are produced in clusters of 2 to 5 on vigorous, high-yielding, indeterminate plants. Fruits hold well on the vine.

I gree i think these are Opalco's

here is the description

Opalka Tomato
Without a doubt, this is one of the best tasting sauce tomatoes you'll find. Flavor is much richer and sweeter than other paste tomatoes, so delicious you can eat them right off the vine. Sauces using the nearly seedless fruits are something special. The bright red elongated 3 to 5 inch fruits are produced in clusters of 2 to 5 on vigorous, high-yielding, indeterminate plants. Fruits hold well on the vine.
Yep. I looked it up and It's Opalka. The pic was exactly like the ones she gave me.
Hoping they work out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky