Insulation material for new home built propane smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

virginiasmokesignal

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Grundy, Virginia
My brother is building us a new propane smoker. He has the steel the burners etc., but he wants some type of material to insulate the smoker with, does anyone have any information or ideas as to what we can use?

VSS, I would use a foam insulation board such as blue board as long as you have a wall on either side of it ?

VSS, I would use a foam insulation board such as blue board as long as you have a wall on either side of it ?
Thanks Crazymoon, I have heard of blue board and yes the we have bought enough 12 gage steel to double wall the entire smoker. Thanks so much, I really appreciate the information and I will pass it on to my brother so he can start looking for it, he may be able to get it at the metal and fabrication company where he bought the steel at. Again, thanks so much Crazymoon, I appreciate the help.

Thanks Tardissmoke, is that +1 Roxul mean 1 inch? What is Roxul anyway, I have never heard of it? Thanks again for the information, I know that I can always get good information hear at SMF.

No +1 means basically I concur with using. It can be obtained in differing thicknesses and can be separated for smaller thicknesses. It has an extremely high fire retardant rating. I used it on my home built propane with an aluminium interior framed with 2x2's and covered with siding. Works well done to -30 C might even go lower but don't really want to find out!

I say Roxul as well, I insulated a remodeled bathroom using the comfort batts.

It’s very easy to cut too. You could use an old bread knife (I used an old sawzall blade). So you could make it any thickness you like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky