insta cure # 1.............

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bob1961

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 15, 2010
lackawaxen, PA.
i can't find insta cure local and only online at 5.99 for 8 oz but then the total with shipping/handling charges brings it to 15.00 bucks....seen a forum that someone said they bought it at a walmart super center by the salt....went there and no insta cure, went to housewares and looked by the canning jars and stuff and found this....

9e520370_DSC01958.jpg

c9e2ce27_DSC01959.jpg

but it is just salt....does the 6.25% sodium nitrtate do the work to preserve jerky from botulisum....this bag cost 2.67 at walmart.........bob

Last edited:
Bob , thats just refined salt, if you want to cure some meat you need nitrite which is in cure #1. you can buy it on line from a bunch of places and it will last for almost forever

yeah i know i can, but 15 bucks for only 8oz is hard to swallow where this is 3 lbs for under 3 bucks, lol....thx......bob

Try buying a small amount from your local butcher.  If you get into making sausage then order in bulk so your shipping costs are spread out.   Using a couple of tablespoons at a time a couple of pounds last forever.

You may also look up butcher supply shops in the area.  I had to go to a small town away from the big city to find one but I bought all my supplies there while I was learning what I was doing and only buying small quantities.  Once you get into doing this it isn't unheard of to buy 5 lbs of Cure1 every couple of years.  Keep it dry.  If you go to someone like Butcher and Packer they also carry casings, spices and tools so you can place a decent order and again spread out shipping costs. 

Al

thx alb, yeah it will only be used for making venison jerky when i get a deer or bison jerky when i pull the trigger on it at 16 bucks a lb, lol.......bob

dan can i use this stuff as regular salt then for cookiing and table use instead of returning it..........bob

Bob, here is where I get my Cure #1  They call it Pink Sure Cure but it is just the name they use, it is still insta cure #1.

Here is links to 3 different size packages depending on how much you want to order.

http://www.midwesternresearch.com/INDEX.htm

1oz: $0.75 

4oz: $0.99 

5# : $7.45

The 5# package is the best deal if you plan on doing a  lot of curing..  Other wise just buy a few of the 4oz ones...

4560490000 PINK SURE CURE-----FOR 25 LBS OF MEAT 
Price In Stock?  Shopping Cart 
0.75 YES[size=+1]   [/size]  
Compares to other pink "basic" cures.
For use with jerky, summer sausage, snacksticks, and other smoked products.

Use 1 pkg per 25 lbs. of meat.

Ing: Salt, sodium nitrite 6.25%, FD & C Red #3 .00099% and not more than 2% sodium silico aluminate added as an anticaking agent. 

4560490002 PINK SURE CURE-----FOR 100 LBS OF MEAT 
0.99 CALL FOR AVAILIBILITY[size=+1]   [/size]  

Use 1 pkg per 100 lbs. of meat.

Ing: Salt, sodium nitrite 6.25%, FD & C Red #3 .00099% and not more than 2% sodium silico aluminate added as an anticaking agent. 

4560490009 PINK SURE CURE-----50 LB BOX 
64.50 YES[size=+1]   [/size]  

Use 4 oz. per 100 lbs. of meat.

4560490009-5 PINK SURE CURE-----5 LB PKG 
7.45 YES[size=+1]   [/size]  

Use 4 oz. per 100 lbs. of meat.

dan can i use this stuff as regular salt then for cookiing and table use instead of returning it..........bob

Bob the salt you posted pic;s of is just salt, it's just ground finer then table salt and no added ingredients like iodine. If you're asking if you can use cure #1 for table salt....absolutely not , it will kill ya.

no i know not to use insta cure as table salt....the picture of the canning salt i posted....i found a site and got 1 lb of insta cure for just over 13 bucks shipped
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 that will do 480 lbs meat, thx dan.........bob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky