Inside Round Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I have been indisposed for awhile and was glad to get back to smoking. I have made pastrami a couple of times but the Bradley site (I use a Bradley Smoker) warns against using an inside round for pastrami as it is too lean. That made sense to me but I am trying to cut fat from my diet and it led me to wonder if round couldn't successfully be made into pastrami. I searched this forum and found a recipe for Deb's Pastrami.

I started by using her brine formula:

1 gallon cold water

1 cup kosher salt
2-1/2 tsp prague powder #1
3/4 cup white sugar
6 bay leaves
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp juniper berries
2 tsp black peppercorns

I cut it in half as I was only using a 3 pound inside round roast. I cut the roast in half and placed it in the brine.

I let it sit in the refrigerator for 6 days. I injected the thicker part with the brine twice. Deb's recipe calls for 7 days but I had a smaller piece of beef than she called for with a whole brisket.

I took it out, rinsed it and soaked it in cold water for 30 minutes. Then I dried it with paper towel.

I used Deb's rub:

1/3 cup Butchers Grade COURSE black pepper (not table ground)
1/3 cup juniper berries
1/4 cup coriander

Again, I cut it in half due to the smaller meat sizes.

I then wrapped in cellophane and put it in the fridge for 2 days.

I took the wrapping off and put it back in the fridge overnight.

Then, I put it in the Bradley Smoker with no smoke at 140 F for one hour.

Then, I smoked it for 1 hour and 40 minutes over apple and hickory at 200 F.

I continued at 200 F in the Bradley for another 1 hour and 20 minutes without smoke. Deb recommends 3 hours of smoking but She Who Must Be Obeyed likes lighter smoke.Through all of this, I followed Deb's recommendation and sprayed it a couple of times with apple juice. Here it is afterwards.

I wrapped the pieces in foil and added some apple juice to the packages. This is not in Deb's version but I figured the leaner round could use the moisture.

I put the meat in the oven at 230 F (it is still cool here in the Canadian Rockies and I figured I might as well heat the house as the great outdoors). It took 7 hours to get it to Deb's recommended internal temperature of 180 F. I pulled it and let it cool in the foil for an hour.

I tried a test slice and it was great!

The final verdict is that Deb's seasoning recommendations are great. The flavour was a deep rich pastrami flavour. The round meat came out moist and tasty. There is no doubt that the texture is not as good as a brisket but it isn't bad and, for those of us who are trying to cut fat from our diet, pastrami made from inside round is a viable alternative. This tastes great and the loss of texture is definite but not terrible.

The texture might not be what you are used to, but the visual is awesome!  Looks great!

Mike
Thanks. I will be making it again. However, once in a while I will spoil myself with a brisket or blade roast made into a pastrami.

Very nice strami.....  Good job.....   As long as it taste like strami, who needs the fat.....   
icon14.gif

Very nice strami.....  Good job.....   As long as it taste like strami, who needs the fat.....   
icon14.gif
If I did a full body shot for my icon, you would see, I REALLY don't need the fat. Thanks for the comments guys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky