Inkbird wireless thermometer coming

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Issue I see is that it's only Bluetooth AND it's 5.1 which is supported by only the latest phones ex) iphone 14 & 15. If you have an earlier version phone with only BT 5.0 the effective range will be significantly reduced. For some reason Inkbird and others are forgoing wifi regardless that it's range is far greater than bluetooth. BTW: the TempSpike (I have it) is also only BT 5.1, no wifi, and with my iphone 13, it's range too is very poor.

Issue I see is that it's only Bluetooth AND it's 5.1 which is supported by only the latest phones ex) iphone 14 & 15. If you have an earlier version phone with only BT 5.0 the effective range will be significantly reduced. For some reason Inkbird and others are forgoing wifi regardless that it's range is far greater than bluetooth. BTW: the TempSpike (I have it) is also only BT 5.1, no wifi, and with my iphone 13, it's range too is very poor.
good information. I've only evaluated bluetooth to date for Sonic qualities, never considered range to be a factor with headsets and boat stereos.

One more thing to think about. With only bluetooth connectivity you won't be able to go run an errand and still check on what's being smoked while you are out. For that capability a wifi connection is required.

One more thing to think about. With only bluetooth connectivity you won't be able to go run an errand and still check on what's being smoked while you are out. For that capability a wifi connection is required.
for me that's a biggie. I don/won't own bluetooth thermometers with bluetooth unless they can tether wifi. My only real need for wireless is for rotisseries cooking. A local buddy bought the meater 4 pack for about $300 and i about shat myself. (he's not on here). For the twice or thrice yearly I spin a rib roast on my gasser with infrared, I can guess and stick it with an instant read. Heat loss is not a big deal with a rear infrared burner. If a wireless B/T thermometer is more than about $50 I can do it the way I always have.

Reactions: schlotz
for me that's a biggie. I don/won't own bluetooth thermometers with bluetooth unless they can tether wifi. My only real need for wireless is for rotisseries cooking. A local buddy bought the meater 4 pack for about $300 and i about shat myself. (he's not on here). For the twice or thrice yearly I spin a rib roast on my gasser with infrared, I can guess and stick it with an instant read. Heat loss is not a big deal with a rear infrared burner. If a wireless B/T thermometer is more than about $50 I can do it the way I always have.
Totally agree with you, the only time I really use one of these is for rotisserie cooking, which isn't that much. The rest of the time, ie 95%, I use my signals from Thermoworks, which is wifi.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky