Inkbird RF model probe failures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
Has anyone using the inkbird RF 1500 foot range thermos had any probe failure issues.
I have two units, both four probe.
The first one I purchased as a two probe and immediately ordered two additional probes.
I liked it so during a flash sale I purchased a second four probe model.
All showed to be fairly accurate in the ice water/boiling water test.
HOWEVER...
After several months of use I've had two probe failures.
They report ridiculously high temperatures at room temp...
80 to 100 degrees high.
I'm just curious if anyone else has had issues. I " think" I'm being careful with my equipment; I dont "pinch" the leads, I have access holes drilled in all my smokers and hand wash after every use being careful as I can not to submerge probes, cords or plugs.
I really want to like these units...when they work, they are exceptional but a 25% probe failure rate in less than a year is a bit concerning.
Walt.

I have a inkbird IBT 4XS we have a different model unit but our probes are the same... 572 degree short period and 482 continuous.. To me, those are not the best probes.. that is rather low temps, im not expecting to get more than a year out of them.. I will not use them on a grill, its just to hot and will probably shorten the life even more.. i clean my probes with steel wool, but not the cord, try wrapping it in aluminum foil... i have not had any probe failures yet but nothing lasts forever. im happy with the price i paid and the results, i got mine for 42 bux on a flash sale..

I just bought a new oven probe to replace the one that came with the unit due to inaccurate readings. I was being very careful too and only damp wipe the cables and don't submerge the probes in water either. I haven't had any problems with the meat probes yet.

I noticed the new oven probe is slightly longer and is double crimped instead of a single crimp. I tested the new probe in boiling and ice water and it was spot on.

I can understand your frustration. Probes should last years before they start to fail.

Thanks for the input. I'm new to the "digital age" of thermometers. I've got decades of outdoor cooking/smoking experience, I've simply used bimetal thermos until this past year.
As age creeps in the thought of monitoring my temps from the comfort of my easy chair has greater appeal.
I didnt realize or understand the weak link was in the probes...
Being aware I guess I just need to ensure I have a couple unused backup probes in my box...
Thanks again for the info.
Walt

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thanks for the input. I'm new to the "digital age" of thermometers. I've got decades of outdoor cooking/smoking experience, I've simply used bimetal thermos until this past year.
As age creeps in the thought of monitoring my temps from the comfort of my easy chair has greater appeal.
I didnt realize or understand the weak link was in the probes...
Being aware I guess I just need to ensure I have a couple unused backup probes in my box...
Thanks again for the info.
Walt

You're welcome.
Having some back ups is a solid plan. I should do the same.
However, probes shouldn't fail this quickly and is probably due to poor design etc.
I have seen industrial thermocouples that are subjected to 300 - 600 degrees 24/7 365 days a year last for 20 years. Then again, those probes weren't being handled very often.

Not with Inkbird but i have with my Maverick XR50. I'm guessing that you are having the same problem with moisture intrusion as I did. You can likely recover your probes the same way I did, that is to bake them out in order to get the moisture out of the probe. Take your defective probes and pop them into an oven, I used my toaster oven, then set the oven to 250 and bake them for an hour or more.

Good Point.
some probes do not like moisture..guess ill seal mine up.

i tested mine in the oven and they were spot on.. then i tested them against the probe in my pellet smoker. well it was about 20 degrees off. i had to move my probe onto the grates to get a better reading, now its within 5 to 8 degrees on my cooks...

I have the IBT4XS. I've had it for barely a month and it is so sloooooow to read temps. Like 45 seconds to read 212F. One of the probes reads 5 degrees under in boiling water. Not a big deal but I don't have a ton of faith in these and feel like I need to test them every time I do a cook now.

When I built the stoker fan for my old lump and chunk rig, I mounted the temperature probe just below the grill. To keep it clean I'd wrap a small bit of foil aroud it that could be disguarded. I still wrap the probe in my pellet grill with foil to help keep it clean and accurate.

I am think of doing the same. Lots folks forget that build up on a probe affects the readings.

Well it sure can't hurt. Be sure to crunch the foil down tight on the probe to eliminate any air gaps. Being careful not to snap the probe off of course.
I think increasing the air contact area of the probe just may even help.

Sounds like a cool little DOE to try out when I have some spare time.

Not with Inkbird but i have with my Maverick XR50. I'm guessing that you are having the same problem with moisture intrusion as I did. You can likely recover your probes the same way I did, that is to bake them out in order to get the moisture out of the probe. Take your defective probes and pop them into an oven, I used my toaster oven, then set the oven to 250 and bake them for an hour or more. I baked mine for two hours just to be sure. All of the probes were recoverd and now funtion correcty. Now with the warranty replacements that Maverick sent me, I have probes coming out of my ears and they all not only read correctly (are accurate) they also track (read correctly) across the range of operation.
Funny thing, I have a much earlier model Maverick, a Ready Check that I've had and used for years and the probes have never failed but they have read consistently high by 10 degress. These probes are supposed to be much more fragile and susceptible to moisture intrusion so when i got them I sealed the joint where the braided wire is crimped into the sleeve of the probe itself with Permatex high temperature silicone, the red stuff.
I suppose I'll be sealing up all of my probes now but I'll also take the opportunity to mold grips with the silicone so I'll have insulated handles to ease removal from hot food with out needing a glove.
BTW The toaster oven is a handy tool to check that your probes track across the range of operation. Just bundle them all together with aluminium foil put them in the cold oven, turn it on and watch your probe outputs as the oven heats up. If they agree with one another within two or three degrees, you can be confident of future readings.
Thanks for the "baking" them dry tip.
I'll certainly try that.
I also have a tube of the high temp silicone...based on your observations I'm going to seal all my probes to protect against moisture intrusion.
Since you've raised it to consienceness
Not with Inkbird but i have with my Maverick XR50. I'm guessing that you are having the same problem with moisture intrusion as I did. You can likely recover your probes the same way I did, that is to bake them out in order to get the moisture out of the probe. Take your defective probes and pop them into an oven, I used my toaster oven, then set the oven to 250 and bake them for an hour or more. I baked mine for two hours just to be sure. All of the probes were recoverd and now funtion correcty. Now with the warranty replacements that Maverick sent me, I have probes coming out of my ears and they all not only read correctly (are accurate) they also track (read correctly) across the range of operation.
Funny thing, I have a much earlier model Maverick, a Ready Check that I've had and used for years and the probes have never failed but they have read consistently high by 10 degress. These probes are supposed to be much more fragile and susceptible to moisture intrusion so when i got them I sealed the joint where the braided wire is crimped into the sleeve of the probe itself with Permatex high temperature silicone, the red stuff.
I suppose I'll be sealing up all of my probes now but I'll also take the opportunity to mold grips with the silicone so I'll have insulated handles to ease removal from hot food with out needing a glove.
BTW The toaster oven is a handy tool to check that your probes track across the range of operation. Just bundle them all together with aluminium foil put them in the cold oven, turn it on and watch your probe outputs as the oven heats up. If they agree with one another within two or three degrees, you can be confident of future readings.
Thanks for the tip on moisture and the drying tip.
I'll certainly pop mine in the oven and see.
And since you've raised it to a level of consciousness...it was after washing that both probes failed...
I've got some high temp silicone...think I'll seal all the connections on my probes.
Walt

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
An insertable meat probe used to monitor a cook doesn't need to be fast just reasonably accurate and rugged. For speed, get your hands on a good instant read.

While were on the subject those bimetallic dial things are only good as hole plugs to plug the hole they're installed in. Even if they start off accurate, they don't stay accurate.
I calibrate my bymetalic thermometers quite frequently and NEVER trusted the installed thermos on any of the smokers or grills I've used over the years.
I always used a slightly higher end long stem thermometer and never permanently installed them...i.just drilled holes at grate level (s) large enough to accept the stem and checked CC temps periodically.
Walt.

B5AC1CF1-3739-4B4E-9F28-8A65CB48E339.jpeg
My Inkbird 2 probe came with these.

After they pass the boil test and RTV sealed the cables are never wrapped up again. They hang straight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky