1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Injecting Pork Loin

Discussion in 'Curing' started by bighole, Nov 30, 2018.

1. bighole

bighole Newbie

i am new to the smoking and curing world and would like some advise. I am going to try and cure and smoke a 4 pork loin to have Canadian Bacon. The brine I plan to use has the proper amount of pink salt, water, herbs etc. The brine recipe instructions are to submerge the loin in a plastic container for four days, dry for 12 hours in the frig and then smoke to 150 degrees. my question is to improve the taste and shorten brine time, can I inject the loin with the brine, brine submerged for two days and then smoke? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Rule of thumb for curing "pickle"/submerge is 1/4" meat thickness per day. Yes, you are correct injecting speeds the process up considerably and is more uniform. Injected correctly (spaced on 1" or so) I see no issue with 2 days. I would still do the 12h (uncovered I assume) rest in fridge. You don't want wet meat going into the smoker... Pop's Brine is very popular here.

3. smokerjim

smokerjim Smoking Fanatic

I've used pops brine quite a few times, always comes out good, like zwiller said I go 1 day for every 1/4 inch plus 2 days. Injecting will speed it up a little.Then over night uncovered to dry it.

4. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

As a general rule you should inject if the meat is over 2" in thickness.
    Just curious... But could post or reference what recipe you are using?

5. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Can you post a link to that recipe ??? Somethings not kosher....

chopsaw likes this.
  6. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I'm with Dave , something don't sound right . Can't advise if we don't know what you are using .

7. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Well... it's pork :p

8. bighole

bighole Newbie

Thank you everyone for your advise. Sorry I am late responding, I have a late season elk tag and I just got home. I will try and answer the questions some of you had. I am using a 4 pound pork loin. The Canadian Bacon recipe I am using is from the salting and curing cook book by Michael Ruhlman I recently got as a gift. I added a couple of additional spices I like and some pure maple syrup but other than that I followed his recipe. No mention of injecting was in the book and thanks to all of you I have some good advise to follow. I will inject the pork loin tonight and let it brine for 2 days and then smoke it on Monday at 250* until I get a 150* reading and give it a try. Thanks again for all your help.

9. chopsaw

Ok ,, Ruhlman is a BAD example to follow . Alot of errors in his methods . I have the book . I need to go look at the recipe he uses . If you can hang on , let guys that know about this help you .

10. bighole

bighole Newbie

Rodger that, thanks

11. chopsaw

Page 87 of the book . DON'T use that info . He tells you to ad all of the brine ingredients to the gallon of water and bring to a simmer . The heat will kill the cure .
    The salt , 1 1/2 cups is WAY to much for 1 gallon of water in my opinion .
    2 TBLS cure #1 to the gallon . I've done that , he's doing a fast cure method I guess .

Listen , I understand you want to do this . Slow down , and lets find a method that suits you best .
    I do mine dry rubbed with Morton's Tender quick .
    Try using Pop's brine . Easy and comes out good . To 1 gallon water , add 1/2 cup salt . Stir . 1/2 cup brown sugar . Stir . 1/2 cup white sugar . Stir . 1 table spoon cure #1 . Stir . No need to heat . If I use a brine , I always inject . Like I said I use a dry cure method , and let it go 14 days . If you use the brine as stated , and inject , 10 days for me .

12. bighole

bighole Newbie

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

13. smokerjim

smokerjim Smoking Fanatic

I think if he's smoking at 250 he'll be fine, not sure if it will taste like bacon or a pork roast with a 2 day brine though.

14. bighole

bighole Newbie

Thanks Zwiller for your injection recommendations. I followed your advise and the everything turned out well. My biggest problem was the weather. Up here in the Big Hole where I live it was -9 below Zero at 10:00 A.M. this morning. So I moved the smoker into my barn where is was warmer, only -3 below Zero. I could not get my smoker above 170 degrees so after two hours of good smoke I moved the pork loin into the house and finished it off in the oven and then cooled it outside which did not take long. I just tried a slice and it is really quite tasty. Thanks to everyone else for your recommendations, you all were a great help.