Injecting Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bighole

Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
i am new to the smoking and curing world and would like some advise. I am going to try and cure and smoke a 4 pork loin to have Canadian Bacon. The brine I plan to use has the proper amount of pink salt, water, herbs etc. The brine recipe instructions are to submerge the loin in a plastic container for four days, dry for 12 hours in the frig and then smoke to 150 degrees. my question is to improve the taste and shorten brine time, can I inject the loin with the brine, brine submerged for two days and then smoke? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Rule of thumb for curing "pickle"/submerge is 1/4" meat thickness per day. Yes, you are correct injecting speeds the process up considerably and is more uniform. Injected correctly (spaced on 1" or so) I see no issue with 2 days. I would still do the 12h (uncovered I assume) rest in fridge. You don't want wet meat going into the smoker... Pop's Brine is very popular here.

I've used pops brine quite a few times, always comes out good, like zwiller said I go 1 day for every 1/4 inch plus 2 days. Injecting will speed it up a little.Then over night uncovered to dry it.

As a general rule you should inject if the meat is over 2" in thickness.
Just curious... But could post or reference what recipe you are using?

I'm with Dave , something don't sound right . Can't advise if we don't know what you are using .

Thank you everyone for your advise. Sorry I am late responding, I have a late season elk tag and I just got home. I will try and answer the questions some of you had. I am using a 4 pound pork loin. The Canadian Bacon recipe I am using is from the salting and curing cook book by Michael Ruhlman I recently got as a gift. I added a couple of additional spices I like and some pure maple syrup but other than that I followed his recipe. No mention of injecting was in the book and thanks to all of you I have some good advise to follow. I will inject the pork loin tonight and let it brine for 2 days and then smoke it on Monday at 250* until I get a 150* reading and give it a try. Thanks again for all your help.

Ok ,, Ruhlman is a BAD example to follow . Alot of errors in his methods . I have the book . I need to go look at the recipe he uses . If you can hang on , let guys that know about this help you .

Rodger that, thanks
Page 87 of the book . DON'T use that info . He tells you to ad all of the brine ingredients to the gallon of water and bring to a simmer . The heat will kill the cure .
The salt , 1 1/2 cups is WAY to much for 1 gallon of water in my opinion .
2 TBLS cure #1 to the gallon . I've done that , he's doing a fast cure method I guess .

Listen , I understand you want to do this . Slow down , and lets find a method that suits you best .
I do mine dry rubbed with Morton's Tender quick .
Try using Pop's brine . Easy and comes out good . To 1 gallon water , add 1/2 cup salt . Stir . 1/2 cup brown sugar . Stir . 1/2 cup white sugar . Stir . 1 table spoon cure #1 . Stir . No need to heat . If I use a brine , I always inject . Like I said I use a dry cure method , and let it go 14 days . If you use the brine as stated , and inject , 10 days for me .

I think if he's smoking at 250 he'll be fine, not sure if it will taste like bacon or a pork roast with a 2 day brine though.

Thanks Zwiller for your injection recommendations. I followed your advise and the everything turned out well. My biggest problem was the weather. Up here in the Big Hole where I live it was -9 below Zero at 10:00 A.M. this morning. So I moved the smoker into my barn where is was warmer, only -3 below Zero. I could not get my smoker above 170 degrees so after two hours of good smoke I moved the pork loin into the house and finished it off in the oven and then cooled it outside which did not take long. I just tried a slice and it is really quite tasty. Thanks to everyone else for your recommendations, you all were a great help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky