Injecting Pork Butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkriet

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Dayton, OH
Hello all,
Been awhile since I've posted, but I'm planning to smoke a couple pork butts for pulled pork this weekend. I was thinking about injecting them with apple juice to try something different.

Has anyone injected pork butts before? I usually just rub them and throw them on, but just thought about changing it up. Would welcome any feedback I can get around this topic, good bad, or indifferent.

Thanks,

I inject mine every time. I slow simmer some apple juice with some rub. Let it cool overnight and then inject before putting on the smoker.

Try brining them. 8oz dark molasses, 3/4 cup pickling salt & 2 quarts of water. Dissolve completely in a 2 1/2 gal zip-lok bag. Insert butt, squeeze out air, seal, place in large bowl (just in case) and store in fridge over night. Preferably 15 hours is you can. Remove, part dry, put on what you want and smoke away.

I have been smoking pork butts for years and I have injected all of them. 99% of the time I use straight apple juice but the last couple times when I do more than one I have done the Cherry Dr Pepper method. Different flavor but moist and sweet everyone loved it!

Don't think you can go wrong give it a shot and see what you think!

Thanks guys. I think the first one I ever made I injected, and it was excellent, but that has been awhile ago. Gonna have to give it a shot. Might be the new normal for this guy.

I have never injected but not opposed to it. Let us know how your cook turns out and what you decided to inject. The brining response above sounds like a good option as well.

Inject with whatever sounds goods... I like Pineapple juice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky