• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Injecting a pork butt advice??

ufert

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 1, 2014
Hey guys I was wondering if injecting a pork butt with apple cider is a good way to go or not?? I have a 5lb butt I am smoking tomorrow in my cajun injector electric smoker. Any suggestions on injecting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
You could give it a go. why not. Some folks in South Florida inject them with Sour Orange.

ufert

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 1, 2014
I was thinking about using apple cider and sprinkle in some of my rub into it and inject that.

ufert

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 1, 2014
Sounds good I am going with the apple cider for my injection

gopokesmoke

Joined Jun 17, 2013
I have used regular apple juice mixed with my favorite rub with good results.  I would advise against any injections that are too acidic (i.e cider vinegar/italian dressing) because they can make the meat mushy

ufert

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 1, 2014
Thanks for the tip about the vinegar, I just went ahead and used apple cider and some of my rub in the injection. Butt has been on since 4:30 am & it's looking good!!

redneck69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2010
remember if you inject, you need to get the internal temp of the meat to at least 140 degrees within 4 hours to help kill any bacteria that you pushed into the meat with the injector....food safety 1st

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007

I have used regular apple juice mixed with my favorite rub with good results.  I would advise against any injections that are too acidic (i.e cider vinegar/italian dressing) because they can make the meat mushy
X2 (from experience)

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
After I posted I realized something... are you going to pull this meat.

If you are going to pull it, don't worry about injecting, save your drippings, tweak the drippings into a finishing sauce (defatting and such) add this to your meat, there really is no need to inject a pulled meat.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009

remember if you inject, you need to get the internal temp of the meat to at least 140 degrees within 4 hours to help kill any bacteria that you pushed into the meat with the injector....food safety 1st
Exactly!!

Bear

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 23, 2011
I used to use apple cider, then I decided it ran out of the meat too easily. I inject many things, but my go-to for pork butt is a mixture of my own BBQ sauce, rub, and apple sauce. The sauce doesn't disappear like the cider does.

floyd

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 2, 2013
I would never inject a pork butt you are going to pull. There is nothing worse than smoking for 10+hours and then find you have mushy meat.  As SQUIB said use the drippings after the fact; it has much better flavor.

ufert

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 1, 2014
Thanks for all the great advice everybody it's really appreciated

stickyfingers

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 23, 2009
I would inject with juice instead even if I pulled it. If I were to choose Cider, I would strain it so no pulp would clogged my injector or the possibility of leaving residue in the meat. vinegar injection solution is not a bad thing, but use white vinegar. Helps break down connective tissue for fast times and is not as strong taste as cider vinegar.

hb99

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 25, 2013
I smoked a butt on Friday. On Thursday night I injected a 7.72# butt with Chris Lilly's 6 Time World Champion Pork Butt Injection and it turned out great.

I defrosted it very slowly (over 1 hour of so), injected it and applied dry rub then wrapped in plastic wrap over night in the fridge.

In the morning I sprinkled more rub on before assembling the WSM.

The juice in the foil was only slightly salty. I add this to the meat after it is pulled. Any sweet sauce added to the meat counters the saltiness immediately. I prefer mine not (BBQ) sauced.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.