Initial Setup and Using the Masterbuilt Vertical Propane Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm totally new to smoking and your solution to the chip pan is exactly what I was looking for.  I assumed that I could use foil to do that but it's always nice to have it verified - great ideas here in your post!!

Hi guys
Would you mind giving some info on your smoker and how you have it set up.
I have been working with my Master Built 2 door propane smoker and have made some mods to improve the performance.
Let me know,
Nov harm no foul if you are okay with where you are at.

I received a Masterbuilt vertical two-door smoker for Christmas. This thread has been invaluable! I modified my smoker to include a base with casters, removable wind shields for the base, a gasket to seal the doors and insulation to reduce heat loss. I also have used a cast iron pan on top of the wood chip tray and I picked up a Maverick 732 thermometer. Oh, and I replaced the regulator with one that has a needle valve.

This thread has made my first attempts at smoking - a couple different sets of ribs and a smokerful of pork butts for pulled pork - much more successful.

I still have a bit of trouble maintaining a steady temperature in the smoker. It seems like I'm constantly bouncing back between 205 and 250 when I'm shooting for 225, but otherwise, this inexpensive smoker is producing some great smoked foods.

Thanks to TT Ace for starting this thread and thanks to everyone who has added their ideas, too. It's all been super helpful.

Mine is two yrs old. I never needed the needle valve mod or the door gasket mod. Mine can be set as low as 100 degrees F and is very stable with the stock controls. The door seals just fine.

I got rid of the stock chip pan. I never used it once. Anyone want to trade for a AMNPS product?  I have a square cast iron chip pan mounted 1/4 inch above the top of the burner. My chip pan has a cast iron cover with vent holes. I use chunks, chips,  or dust. Mostly chunks. I have added a wooden base on casters with a three sided wind shield. 

I keep the vent 100% open all the time. Love this smoker!

That looks great, But why would you need the lid? My MGS is 44 inch and I have 2 burners that are tubes like on a regular gas grill, Wish I had just the 1 burner like yours. 

Yeah, I have the two burner also. The cast iron pan was the first thing I added, I haven't found the sweet spot for it yet. I have purchased some Nomax felt from Amazon and some foil backed insulation from Lowe's. I'm not sure what to do with the water pan and it's rack. I have some foil wrapped bricks I've been putting on a lower rack. If I was to leave the smoker in the same place, I'd add some foiled bricks in the bottom also.

Still not comfy with it yet.

JD

Snaggletoe,
My smoker looks like the same model as mine.
Mine is only about 6 months old.
I can't hold Temps that low without getting flame blowout.
I have a wind skirt identical to yours.
Any ideas?

Yeah, I have the two burner also. The cast iron pan was the first thing I added, I haven't found the sweet spot for it yet. I have purchased some Nomax felt from Amazon and some foil backed insulation from Lowe's. I'm not sure what to do with the water pan and it's rack. I have some foil wrapped bricks I've been putting on a lower rack. If I was to leave the smoker in the same place, I'd add some foiled bricks in the bottom also.

Still not comfy with it yet.

JD
​I thought looking at your pictures that it looks like you have 1 burner with that round shield under your pan, Mine is burners are more open.

I still need to do something about the cheap [emoji]128169[/emoji] wheels. I thinking that making a dolly with sides and strapping the smoker down to it.

What did everyone else do?

JD

jimmy1957

You probably wouldn't need the lid.

I think, in some perverse way it helps to reduce flare ups, keeps juices off the wood, helps moderate temp, or just IS because that's how it was given to me - which all contribute to my enjoyment of smoking. If I ever have to replace it,  I will use an old cast iron skillet without a lid.

r2Builders

I think I just got real lucky with mine. I read about lots of issues with temp control. Mine just worked great right out of the box.

Three inch diameter casters on mine because that's what I had kickin around.

Some recent smokes.

Bacon  

Venison Summer Sausage

Snaggletoe,

Lookin great!!!

Some recent smokes.

BTW, what did you do to improve the [emoji]128169[/emoji] Wheels??

JD

Thanks for the pictures, I made a dolly to put my smoker on, Had the wood laying in my workshop and bought the wheels for $3 at and auction, Took the wheels off that came with the smoker then I bolted the smoker to the dolly.

Thanks for the pictures, I made a dolly to put my smoker on, Had the wood laying in my workshop and bought the wheels for $3 at and auction, Took the wheels off that came with the smoker then I bolted the smoker to the dolly.
I have a piece of 3/4" plywood that's going the cause. That and maybe to shore up the legs a bit.

JD

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky