Increasing jalapeno flavoring in sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cajun Smokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Made a small batch of jalapeno & cheese sausage for a few people at work. It has good flavor but lacking an obvious jalapeno taste, it very faint. Im using a tablespoon of freeze dried jalapeno per pound. How can I increase or enhance the jalapeno flavoring?

^^^^^What SmokinEdge said. about 1/2# fresh diced jalapenos per 5# mince. Just remember to cut back any added water by about 1/2 cup to compenaste for the added water in the jalapenos. Can also add 1/2TBSP. jalapeno powder /5# meat to kick up the jalapeno flavor.

^^^^^What SmokinEdge said. about 1/2# fresh diced jalapenos per 5# mince. Just remember to cut back any added water by about 1/2 cup to compenaste for the added water in the jalapenos. Can also add 1/2TBSP. jalapeno powder /5# meat to kick up the jalapeno flavor.
That's a great simple fix. Thank for helping, I may give it another run next weekend.

I've never done it but I've read up on the subject. The answer provided was to use dried and ground powder jalapeno to kick up the Jalapeno flavor. This is what I would try.

Personally I would try to get my hands on a ton of jalapenos that people tend to give away cause they cant use em all. I would de-vein and de-seed them remove the heat and then dehydrate (not smoke) them.
Once they were good and deydrated I would grind them with my magic bullet grinder blade into a powder.

This approach would give me all the jalapeno flavor without the heat. Then I could dial the heat up with real jalapeno and add as much jalapeno flavor as I liked. Best of both worlds and maximum control can't be beat :)

Reactions: chopsaw
I've never done it but I've read up on the subject. The answer provided was to use dried and ground powder jalapeno to kick up the Jalapeno flavor. This is what I would try.

Personally I would try to get my hands on a ton of jalapenos that people tend to give away cause they cant use em all. I would de-vein and de-seed them remove the heat and then dehydrate (not smoke) them.
Once they were good and deydrated I would grind them with my magic bullet grinder blade into a powder.

This approach would give me all the jalapeno flavor without the heat. Then I could dial the heat up with real jalapeno and add as much jalapeno flavor as I liked. Best of both worlds and maximum control can't be beat :)

I plant them every year, guess it's time to start dehydrating some of them.

Reactions: tallbm
I do the same as Tallbm . I leave them whole and just cut a slit . MES 30 dries them real nice .
I have a magic bullet too . Works great for grinding spices or making powder .
Look around the popcorn at the grocery store . I've seen jalapeno powder there , but might also have salt in it .
20181120_223518.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
I do the same as Tallbm . I leave them whole and just cut a slit . MES 30 dries them real nice .
I have a magic bullet too . Works great for grinding spices or making powder .
Look around the popcorn at the grocery store . I've seen jalapeno powder there , but might also have salt in it .
View attachment 481611
Never thought of using the MES 30 to dehydrate, thanks for that idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky