In praise of Mercer Culinary

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rohfan2112

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
West Babylon, NY
I recently bought a new knife that I've been using non-stop for three weeks and wanted to pass the info along. It's the Mercer Culinary Ultimate White 8-Inch Chef's Knife. This thing is sharp! If you're not used to very sharp knives, take care when handling this one. The only thing I do is give it a quick honing on my ceramic knife hone after each use. The knife is $11 :emoji_astonished: and when I grab for a knife I always grab it first, even passing over my prized Henckels German forged chef's knife. This sucker glides effortlessly through anything it touches and makes prep work so much easier. It's now the workhorse of my kitchen.

Anyone else have a great but cheapo knife they'd recommend?

Reactions: JLeonard
That is an amazing price, and I noticed they had different lengths too. The 12" was only $20. If you can tell the difference in honing angles, 14° thru 20°, ignore this... but I recommend angle guides for hones. They keep you within 1° even if blindfolded :emoji_nerd:

I have some 4" Rapala (wooden handle) fillet knives for close in work, about $12 on sale. I use Victornox 6" boning knives (the flexible model) on the bottom in the photo, they are $15 on sale.
en9DEkH.jpg
Not really a low priced knife on the initial purchase..... but this next knife comes with 8 or 10 blades, and the blades are very inexpensive, so in the long run a serious bonus for people that don't like sharpening and maintenance.
For just over a year I've been testing two Havalon knife models. These things are sportsman's knives with replaceable blades which are scalpel sharp and have a scalpel connection. And in the kitchen, they are amazing.
OgAdLF9.jpg

Reactions: rohfan2112
thirdeye thirdeye , have used these for doing deer. Like the replacement blades. Very nice
For just over a year I've been testing two Havalon knife models. These things are sportsman's knives with replaceable blades which are scalpel sharp and have a scalpel connection. And in the kitchen, they are amazing.
482545-40f15a58dd2c69208b0e2b7e2d3ead5e.jpg

Reactions: rohfan2112
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky